Manipulation leads to issuing negative shares

General Discussions about new beta versions of Capitalism Lab
greene345
Level 3 user

Manipulation leads to issuing negative shares

Post by greene345 »

So I manipulated the price of a stock so that I could merge it into my company and issue stocks to me, that way I could have more shares of my company so that when the price went up, I'd be a weathier player. In any case,

After doing so, however, I ran into this really cool (not) bug:

Now, I know we're only supposed to be able to have at max 1 billion shares of a company, so I can understand why this bug exists, but wouldn't it be more accurate to have it simply say 0 shares?

Also, I know that some companies on various exchanges in real life employ the process of share splitting and share merging. Wouldn't it make more sense to, when this happens, merge the excess shares with other shares? So like, instead of having say, 1.5b shares at $10, have 1b shares at $15.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Manipulation leads to issuing negative shares

Post by David »

Could you please provide us with your save game?

And which game version were you using?
David

Post by David »

Also, I know that some companies on various exchanges in real life employ the process of share splitting and share merging. Wouldn't it make more sense to, when this happens, merge the excess shares with other shares? So like, instead of having say, 1.5b shares at $10, have 1b shares at $15.
We have considered this. Under what circumstances do you think we should allow the player to split shares or merge shares?
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

As I replied in other post, issues rises when merging (reverse split), when you need to paid fractional shares with money after that. So as long as the corporation has enough money to paid fractional share, I see there is no limitation to why this has to be conditional. Maybe it's just cool to have certain amount of share control freedom as in real life.

But in game mechanism functional wise, I see no benefit other than prevent shares number reaching upper limit, or increase liquidity (which I am not sure if its even a real thing in the game). However it could be a cool mechanism to issue a reverse/forward split, and squeeze out all the pesky AI persons who owns like 0.0x% to 0.5% all at once without having to click like dozens of times to buy them out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
greene345
Level 3 user

Post by greene345 »

David wrote:
We have considered this. Under what circumstances do you think we should allow the player to split shares or merge shares?
I think the easiest (best?) time to use this is only when the company has exceeded the 1b share cap.

Also, I didn't save the savegame (didn't think to) but I'm using the most current version, downloaded the update a few hours ago (about a half hour before I posted this).
David

Post by David »

This bug has been fixed in the latest patch 2.4.04D. Download link: http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =10&t=1786
I think the easiest (best?) time to use this is only when the company has exceeded the 1b share cap.
How about splitting shares, when do you think a player should be allowed to split shares?
Trueheimer

Post by Trueheimer »

I think it should be possible to split shares as soon as stock price hits 1000 dollars.
There are only very few companies with stock price >= 1000 dollars.

AI should also at least tend to split shares as price reaches 1000 dollars.
greene345
Level 3 user

Post by greene345 »

That would be reasonable, I think. An alternative solution to this would be to just remove any hard cap on how many shares can be floating around, but create a soft cap that, depending on how many shares exist, could hurt the bottom line or the stock's price?

An idea is for every 10 million shares, the "true" share price is reduced by 1%?
Or, perhaps for every 10 million shares, all expenses go up by 1%
Or, perhaps even every share = $100 in fees/month or something like that.

It would encourage players to limit how many shares they are issuing (or exchanging for merger) and encourage share merging.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

greene345 wrote:That would be reasonable, I think. An alternative solution to this would be to just remove any hard cap on how many shares can be floating around, but create a soft cap that, depending on how many shares exist, could hurt the bottom line or the stock's price?

An idea is for every 10 million shares, the "true" share price is reduced by 1%?
Or, perhaps for every 10 million shares, all expenses go up by 1%
Or, perhaps even every share = $100 in fees/month or something like that.

It would encourage players to limit how many shares they are issuing (or exchanging for merger) and encourage share merging.
Where would this fee goes to? What would be the real life counter-part to this "fee"?
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Has auto-split been added in the new patch?