Tips for Hiring COO/CMO/CTO please help!

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
greglavalleye
Level 2 user

Tips for Hiring COO/CMO/CTO please help!

Post by greglavalleye »

What are some tips, and the differences between the personalities or a person and their expertise? How will each effect how they run a company and what is better to look at when hiring a person for a position?
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Re: Tips for Hiring COO/CMO/CTO please help!

Post by WilliamMGary »

COO - In my opinion, anyone with good "Retail" skills seem to do better then anyone regardless of why you're hiring them.
CMO - Marketing Skill Expertise is what matters; allowing them to select media to advertise on and what products provides the best ROI
CTO - R&D Skill Expertise is all that matter; I never let them choose the products to research, I do that manually.
greglavalleye
Level 2 user

Post by greglavalleye »

You can see expertise and personality. How do they impact a persons ability to work? More importantly the personality part I am confused how that will help or benefit their ability to perform. Please let me know, some people with a retail expertise of 60 might have a personality of 85 in some aspects like strengthening leadership. Please explain how the personality traits matters.
Finn80

Post by Finn80 »

The expertise and skill levels are what you should be concerned about....say you hire someone with a 60 skill in retail, when you let them run a retail shop the levels are immediatly upped to a 6. Therefore running more capacity =more sales=more profit. Or say a skill level of 40 in farming.....you put them in charge of a farm....the farm level instantly a 4, better quality eggs or whatever.

The expertise of a person goes more to their R&D capability, if someone has household goods expertise you are going to get quicker gains from R&D projects that they are in charge of.

The personality of a player (I might be wrong here) like paying dividends, or enduring losses to avoid layoffs, lends itself more to if that person is running an AI corp, and how they will run that company. So I don't really pay that much attention to those, unless I'm stock trading or facing off with them in a price war.
anjali
Level 4 user

Post by anjali »

Finn80 wrote:The expertise and skill levels are what you should be concerned about....say you hire someone with a 60 skill in retail, when you let them run a retail shop the levels are immediatly upped to a 6. Therefore running more capacity =more sales=more profit. Or say a skill level of 40 in farming.....you put them in charge of a farm....the farm level instantly a 4, better quality eggs or whatever.
not exactly correct but close.
for every 20 points in expertise the firm the person is running gets raised 1 level i.e. a 60 retail skilled AI will raise purchase and sales units instantly from 1 to 4 without any training.
and in the example with the 40 farming skill guy, (40/20=2) so it will raise 2 levels so a brand new farm of level 1 will get all farming units raised to 3. 50 farming will still be lvl 3 (50/20 = 2.5 = round down to 2)
Finn80

Post by Finn80 »

Yes anjali, is correct on the numbers working out that way. I was using purposely simplified numbers to help best answer the op.
therealevan
Level 4 user

Post by therealevan »

I am operating a smaller end technology company and I recently hired a CMO.

An overview:

4 retail stores (2 computer & 2 department stores), 11 factories to manufacture my products, 1 R&D center

My business was generating roughly $55M per year in net income prior to hiring the CMO.

Several years later after hiring the CMO, my net income surged to nearly $80M. This was partially due to adding two factories which are operating with healthy profits, but I am curious as to how much my CMO is really helping. Some relevant stats to the CMO;

Expertise: Marketing 20
Personality: Spending on Advertising 66
Salary $3.3M

From the looks of it, my advertising has increased greatly along with increases in branding on all my products. Wish the game had a ROE / ROI metric to show how much or how little a company officer was helping.
greglavalleye
Level 2 user

Post by greglavalleye »

for a CMO I would want their marketing expertise to be at 80 or 100. That is how effective they will be, in my experience. I think it may be sales , but hiring any CMO with any skill will obviously increase sales but I would think if their expertise was 50, 80, 100 etc... you might increase sales more. On a side note I noticed to get more funds, if you issue more stocks, set the CEO salary at max (now I'm at $40 billion annually) ... then the currency goes from 100-1, anyways, you buy back the issued shares with your own person, not the company , for some reason it you buy 5% of the stock with your company you don't get 5% it get disbursed amongst the other investors, but if you personally purchase shares you get all the shares and don't lose control. In addition to getting funds.
greglavalleye
Level 2 user

Post by greglavalleye »

One thing I've noticed is that when the factories run out of their raw materials (i.e. electronic components the COO who is in charge does not automatically find another supplier) Not sure why.
anjali
Level 4 user

Post by anjali »

greglavalleye wrote:One thing I've noticed is that when the factories run out of their raw materials (i.e. electronic components the COO who is in charge does not automatically find another supplier) Not sure why.
if coo is in charge, but you set the management policies to purchase from own or parent company only, he will only order supplies of your own company/parent company, so if the new supply is an outside source the coo will still find the new suplly, but of course he will not use this supply as its not within the corporate structure.
this could be a reason for him not finding new supply. if the new supply is from your own company / parent company then i wouldnt know why he doesnt change to the new supply