New Let's Play Series

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
eleaza
Level 8 user

New Let's Play Series

Post by eleaza »

I found a new let's play for the latest Capitalism Lab version on youtube by Sean on his channel "Vanilla PC Strategy"

Capitalism Lab: SeanCo

Has being going for 2 weeks now. Hopefully we can see more and hopefully we will see some contents on the new DLC in the future. I've been quite busy leaving comments on the videos and hopefully that will bring some new players in.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: New Let's Play Series

Post by David »

The Youtuber mentioned that he would like to see a better way to scroll the city map.

Any suggestions for improving it?

Personally, I am using the mouse to scroll the city map and it works fine for me. I just move the mouse towards the edges of the screen to scroll.

There is an alternative way to scroll it using the mouse too - pressing the right mouse button and then move the mouse. It seems that scrolling speed using this method in the YouTube video is slower than what I experienced in my game using the same method. Did anybody experience slowness in scrolling the city map too?
Spac3y
Level 5 user

Post by Spac3y »

My right mouse button seems fine.

Personally I find the easiest way to get about is to either left click on the mini map or keep the left mouse button down and move the cursor about the mini map.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

I feel the scrolling speed per pixel is kinda constant, so if the resolution is very high, the scrolling with right mouse might be quite slow, compared to scroll from the edges of the screen.

But there's an issue with scrolling using edges. When recording a game with screen capture, sometimes it only works with windows mode, and it would be impractical using edges scroll, since it's very easy to accidently move the mouse over the edge and click the desktop or background programs instead.

Personally I also find the fastest way to move around is to click the minimap, like Spac3y. Quickly jumping to a region using minimap also give me a better sense of the city's "orientation" as a whole. The downside of this is that I need to move my mouse to the top left minimap and then back many times.

For solving Sean's problem of right mouse moving issue, perhaps a new option of mouse moving speed or sensitivity can be increase or decrease like music volume changes, might be the easiest way.
pdxsean

Post by pdxsean »

Hey everyone! Thanks for the attention, I am really happy that my CapLab series is getting a decent number of views. My channel is very small so seeing that most of my CapLab videos get around 10 views in the first 24 hours is really solid. That's 30-50% of the views I get from Rimworld which is the backbone of my channel. Anyway I'm glad to see the numbers up so I can keep making the videos, I never expected this older niche game to be well-received.

In regard to the scrolling, I am accustomed to using either the middle mouse button and dragging (similar to the RMB/drag currently) or WASD. I know there are good reasons not to use WASD - established hotkeys - so I wouldn't expect that to change. Nor is switching to center mouse rather than RMB. I face similar frustations playing Civ VI, as they use LMB iirc for panning and don't support WASD either.

The frustration wouldn't be as bad if I wasn't switching games around, or if I played CapLab more. Currently my gaming is diversified to the point that it's really hard to consciously remember the differences, and I don't play enough (outside of Rimworld) to develop the muscle memory to make it easier. Luckily (for me) Rimworld uses the middle mouse button / WASD setup that seems to be the most common in the strategy type games I play.

I do play at 1920x1080 so that would explain why RMB/drag is so slow. Anyway I think I'm getting more used to the UI and not complaining as much. I definitely won't want to sound whiney or overly critical, but at the same time I am kind of boring so I try not to step on any emotions as I am recording so I don't sound so robotic.

Anyway thank you for checking the videos out, and of course big thanks to Eleaza for posting it here! She has offered some really great help that has been useful in this series, and will be especially useful in the second series I'll be doing after this one wraps up.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Glad you found here, and feel free to ask any questions :)

BTW, did you fix the problem where FRAPS can not record the game menu screen?
David

Post by David »

I do play at 1920x1080 so that would explain why RMB/drag is so slow.
The scrolling speed is actually pretty fast when I run it at 1920x1080.

Not sure if the slowness you experienced is due to video recording software. When you are just playing the game without video recording, is the speed of scrolling the map faster?

Also, did anybody else experience slowness in scrolling the map too? Just want to know how many people have experienced this issue.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote: Also, did anybody else experience slowness in scrolling the map too? Just want to know how many people have experienced this issue.
For me, the right mouse moving is about the same speed with edge scrolling (however since the diagonal speed is the combination of both axises, maybe it's just the illusion when only move in horizontal and vertical directions? vertical is slower than horizontal as well). However both are much slower than using the minimap left click "dragging".
David

Post by David »

For me, the right mouse moving is about the same speed with edge scrolling (however since the diagonal speed is the combination of both axises, maybe it's just the illusion when only move in horizontal and vertical directions? vertical is slower than horizontal as well). However both are much slower than using the minimap left click "dragging".
So the edge scrolling and mouse dragging speed is acceptable to you at 1920x1080 on your computer?
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:
So the edge scrolling and mouse dragging speed is acceptable to you at 1920x1080 on your computer?
I probably couldn't be very objective on how slow edge scrolling is, since I've already gotten used to the super dragging speed using minimap for years.