Another let's play series & the Trump Real Estate strategy

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
eleaza
Level 8 user

Another let's play series & the Trump Real Estate strategy

Post by eleaza »

I found another interesting let's play by James Games

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... RVWWNyuFXy

And the best way I can describe his strategy is the Trump-like real estate land grab. We've always know real estate is nearly unbeatable in generating profits with CES DLC, and by mimicking the AI minitown style combined with immediate increased land value (and if AI starts with low funds and many cities to play with), this "Trump Real Estate" strategy is extremely lucrative.

You just start from mass borrowing from the bank, buy as much land as possible, build some apartments/commercials inside the area, and then sell the land around the real estate to get at least 20% to 50% profit margin in land selling. And then you can borrow some more, move to the next city and repeat. However, this strategy isn't so strong in the core game due to pretty much already developed cities with near capped population, but with CES DLC's low starting population and strong growing trend, this is mighty powerful.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Another let's play series & the Trump Real Estate strate

Post by David »

Nice video. I have just shared it on the the official Capitalism Lab Facebook page.

Here is another Capitalism Lab gameplay video title 'Capitalism Lab - Fashion Impossible' :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckq82abctgY
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:Nice video. I have just shared it on the the official Capitalism Lab Facebook page.

Here is another Capitalism Lab gameplay video title 'Capitalism Lab - Fashion Impossible' :
I've been watched that as well, but he hasn't updated more than a week, and the background noise of the recording is kinda loud though :P. But he has a facecam, probably the only Cap Lab series I saw has facecam :)
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
messer

Post by messer »

eleaza wrote:
David wrote:Nice video. I have just shared it on the the official Capitalism Lab Facebook page.

I've been watched that as well, but he hasn't updated more than a week, and the background noise of the recording is kinda loud though :P. But he has a facecam, probably the only Cap Lab series I saw has facecam :)
Hehe, thanks for all feedback during the episodes eleaza :)
I've been meaning to do a series related to subsidiaries but, I just can't get them to do anything useful :(
bdubbs
Level 3 user

Post by bdubbs »

This strategy does seem very strong for the CES DLC. Under his game conditions with only 1 seaport per city and 40 competitor it seems like the most viable option for a quick start with strong profits. This strategy can still work well in the base game, especially if you intend to expand into retail. Even though fully developed cities start with more available housing / commercial buildings location is everything. If you put apartments near parks / recreation and then build your retail around them you can jack the rent up past 100% eventually. Commercial buildings are even easier to fill up because the maps tend to have the largest commercial buildings spread across the map. Even if your building your commercial real estate in a city with a huge surplus of real estate supply if you build right in the CBD your buildings will fill up before the other offices around the map.

Whatever the seaports around the world are selling would become constrained quickly under the settings the youtuber used so I don't think an early retail strategy could work here, at least not to make any meaningful profit. This does seem like an interesting set of settings that could make contract manufacturing an option. If you picked a product with low freight and simple inputs (leather wallets comes to mind) you could just open up a factory and sell to the AI who are likely going to overbuild on retail anyway and don't have many products to pick from. This would work better if the input(s) you needed were available at the seaport, but if you needed to farm or create a semi product from a seaport product you could probably still pull in a meaningful profit.

You could also just retail that product yourself if you have the money to do so. Having a monopoly on a product is always good, but it rarely lasts with that much competition. Either way the CES DLC definitely adds some new wrinkles to starting strategy
TrimBarktree

Post by TrimBarktree »

I just discovered these videos yesterday. Probably the best cap lab videos I have seen so far.
bdubbs
Level 3 user

Post by bdubbs »

strangely I've been having issues with this strategy ever since the latest patch, but I'm not sure if its related. Could just be poor area selection or building placement though
kwkn

Re: Another let's play series & the Trump Real Estate strategy

Post by kwkn »

This strategy went extremely well for me.
I mostly mimicked this method until all seven cities had 50 supply of Commercial and Housing, which took about a decade.
The end result was 1.5 Billion net profit per year with all loans repaid.

I think this strategy is very OP for two reasons.
First off, it could be used at any difficulty and in most situations. It might be difficult to do this during recession, but that's the same for other strategies.
Second is that it provides constant and stable profit compared to other strategies. For example am IPO scam is profitable too, but the cash is one-time.
Probably there should be a cooldown period for selling land after purchasing it, to nerf this strategy.
PinoX7
Level 2 user

Post by PinoX7 »

hey guys, I am James Games :D

I never knew my strat generated a bit of a buzz as far as OP goes.

I have to admit, I love finding somewhat legit short-cuts to making money, which I guess makes me very Trump-like

I kind of want to make a new series impersonating DJT ;P (which I can do fairly well imo)
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

PinoX7 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:17 am hey guys, I am James Games :D

I never knew my strat generated a bit of a buzz as far as OP goes.

I have to admit, I love finding somewhat legit short-cuts to making money, which I guess makes me very Trump-like

I kind of want to make a new series impersonating DJT ;P (which I can do fairly well imo)
Cool! Look forward to your new video series!