Multiplayer LAN

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here
xikretim

Multiplayer LAN

Post by xikretim »

Hello Capitalism Lab team,

I saw some player topics wanting to add multiplayer to the game, but you said it would be a waste of money and you would not make a profit. In case, why not release the multiplayer, but only for LAN, in which you will not have expenses with servers, etc. There are many programs that run this LAN option, such as Gameranger. I play Capitalism II with my friends on it, and believe they could add the option for LAN creation. The only problem would be you optimize the game and the DLCs for the multiplayer. This is not possible?

Thanks
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Multiplayer LAN

Post by David »

Actually server costs are very inexpensive these days. The high cost stems from developing the multiplayer code for the new features and the tremendous amount time needed for testing and debugging multiplayer issues, especially synchronization issues, are incredibly difficult and time-consuming to track down and fix.
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

David wrote:Actually server costs are very inexpensive these days. The high cost stems from developing the multiplayer code for the new features and the tremendous amount time needed for testing and debugging multiplayer issues, especially synchronization issues, are incredibly difficult and time-consuming to track down and fix.
Agree with David. Even majors like Ubi cannot into multiplayer despite their multi-billion budgets. ;)
jdraymond

Post by jdraymond »

I'm surprised creating a periodic subscription to sell a multiplayer version of this wouldn't outweigh the development and maintenance costs. Not to say I don't believe you. It just seems like there is a decent size market for this, especially in business schools (not like universities can't afford it). I was even interested in using this as a platform for my non-profit work to teach an economics class at my local high school. Unfortunately, for reasons stated in another post, it's too cumbersome to manage without having every student plugged into the same simulation.

Anyway, I suppose the argument is really just whether or not there is a market for it to warrant such time and effort. I guess reasonable minds could differ on that point and we'll never really know until someone else does it.

Thanks for all you do!