Do you learn how to read financial reports from the game?

Discussions about educational uses of Capitalism II

I already knew how to read them before playing the game
37%
I had some idea before, but understand it better because of the game
30%
I learned how to read them because of the game, and only learn it from the game
19%
I learned the concept from the game, and it got me interested so I tried to learn more from other sources
7%
I don't know what financial reports are, and still don't
7%

Total votes: 27

counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

From an accounting perspective, Capitalism series have provided some crucial real world financial reports analog that's essential running a company. I myself as being in a position to run a real world company with relative background, mostly see the flaw of lack of many crucial components, but as educational tool I think they are still sufficient.

So I am curious, how well Capitalism series are with educating you as players about understanding financial reports? Do you know how to read them before playing the game, or because of the game? And how well can you use all the data presented to you as analytic tools?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Parkerrush92
Level 4 user

Re: Do you learn how to read financial reports from the game

Post by Parkerrush92 »

I have real world finance and business experience. I actually have a question regarding dividends though. I think there are still some improvements that could be made regarding the finance report, but this mostly has to do with time-horizons and breaking up the data. I recently commented on what I think to be partly related to this subject in the suggestions forum, and that is that dividends are not reported as earnings in game, and that dividend income can not trickle upwards from subsidiary to parent to parent. My question is, are from an accounting standpoint, are dividends counted as earnings?
beamthegreat
Level 3 user

Re: Do you learn how to read financial reports from the game

Post by beamthegreat »

I do not have a finance background but I had vague understanding of how it worked. After playing the game it all clicked. Would be nice to see depreciation/amortization included in this game as well.