editable game

Discussions about educational uses of Capitalism II
businessteacher
Level 2 user

editable game

Post by businessteacher »

hi i though i would repost this in here because im quite interested in it. someone from the add on section asked about the ability to edit the game etc. i think this would be very good from an educational point of view and something i would be very interested in.

dan
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: editable game

Post by David »

Customization to game content like products will require lots of gameplay balancing to get it work.

Below are snapshots of the Product database in Capitalism 2.

The problem of letting a user to modify the game content data is that the game may run abnormally or even crash if the data are not set with great considerations to gameplay balance. That's why we have reservations of releasing MOD tools for Cap2.
Attachments
Sample data of the Product database
Sample data of the Product database
item2.jpg (316.31 KiB) Viewed 14906 times
Fields of the Product database
Fields of the Product database
item1.jpg (45 KiB) Viewed 14906 times
NoFace

Post by NoFace »

Well what if it was something simple they could mod? Nothing huge just a simple editor like in the Age of Empires series?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

We are considering adding support for user created scripts for user defined new products in Capitalism Lab.
Hax

Post by Hax »

Hi David,

sorry for my bad english

_____

It would be enough for the beginning whom you create a map editor.

I understand the game generates the maps themselves, but that would be useful sometimes.

Or, you put the texture format and model of your game open.
Here is what the Communtiy create new texture and at the end hd mods.
(Give us your converter :D)

Already these two things alone would make your forum grow and offer your long game play fun.

A map editor does not even on the internal database and endeffect is a coder / modder himself if he let his game scrapped.

What would I wish would be an interface to add new buildings and objects.

Your game is a class of its own and that is a good game.

But look at the implementation time of games like for example "cities 2012"

If a community can create mods, then it's just a question of time until Mods come in the style of, for example "Play Capitalism in Year 1700" as "Anno (game)"
Of a future mod ...

You can do so much, what does not intervene in the database.

greetz
City Builder
Level 5 user

Post by City Builder »

David wrote:We are considering adding support for user created scripts for user defined new products in Capitalism Lab.
This would certainly extend the game life of Cap Labs IMO. I hope that you do this.

As far as changing the data in the database, I don't see a problem with that. If a user changes the data and the game runs abnormally or crashes, then they have to change it back. Not much different if any from other games that allow modding. If user comes online and complains and there is a modding API that let's the user change the data, then first thing somebody should ask is "did you mod your game" that way the developers are not running around trying to figure out why game is not running properly or crashing.

Allowing that could only extend the game life and thus with an extended game life, you can create more really good features that people would need to pay for and more importantly to the consumer, WANT to pay for because they are still interested in playing the game that they are able to really customize to their own play style.

Obviously this is my opinion, and my opinion is only based on the vast amount of games that I've bought over the past 30+ years, those that have allowed modding and are very old, I'm still playing, those "other" games that don't permit modding that I may have paid as much as $60.00 in the past couple years were played for about 2 weeks, game was beaten and I uninstalled them. When new content was available to buy, I had to seriously consider buying it or not buying it, many times I passed because the original game that cost me $60.00 did not give me enough play time in it to justify it, so buying any addon content did not seem like a good deal to me.
Boxster77
Level 3 user

Post by Boxster77 »

I like the spread sheet are you guys going to add that information on the web site or in the game some where?