Work-in-progress screenshots of Internet Companies

Digital Age DLC for Capitalism Lab
Spac3y
Level 5 user

Re: Work-in-progress screenshots of Internet Companies

Post by Spac3y »

Interms of the car rental booking site, you could also link this to car dealerships so that you could say not only sell cars, but you could put rental business through a rental shop which in turn could take business by the normal foot fall route as well as you could own a car rental booking site and use your cars supplied to the rental store to also add value.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Latest update: new work-in-progress screenshots of an Internet firm.
Attachments
Search engine 2.jpg
Search engine 2.jpg (405.56 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
Search engine 1.jpg
Search engine 1.jpg (426.38 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

That's exiting, this should be a huge new DLC like CES DLC that changed the core game so much.

BTW I know it's just a preview and all, most likely the final version would be huge different, but in the screenshot if content quality is 6.00, then why would content quality x 10% + tech x 90% = 0.00?
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
Arcnor
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by Arcnor »

Looks awesome!
ba127
Level 2 user

Post by ba127 »

It'd be great if there were a little more depth to the internet companies besides the tech and the "content quality." The most obvious one would probably be a slider for servers. As more people use your service, you'll need more and more servers to host it. Even better would be actual needing to build "server farm" buildings that you have to link up to (either that you build yourself or that a focused company builds like Amazon AWS).

Other ones could be things like customer support or bug fixing.
David

Post by David »

The attached screenshot shows the data server cost which is directly proportional to the amount of visitor traffic the web site receives.
Attachments
data server cost.jpg
data server cost.jpg (380.79 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:The attached screenshot shows the data server cost which is directly proportional to the amount of visitor traffic the web site receives.
Can players build their own data centers and linking to them to internalized this cost?
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:The attached screenshot shows the data server cost which is directly proportional to the amount of visitor traffic the web site receives.
Can players build their own data centers and linking to them to internalize this cost?
applemachine

Post by applemachine »

Hi David, I saw that you asked for some suggestions about what kind of tech you could use to feed each of the internet companies. I'd like to take a crack at it. Take or leave any suggestions. I am most familiar with search engines, if that matters at all. After brainstorming for a while, I thought that many of the techs I was thinking about could be utilized by all internet companies that don't sell things. Perhaps there could be general technologies that all of the companies could benefit from. Although the issue with that would be that they would all be generic and the player could not differentiate between the different types. In any case, my specific suggestions are below.
David wrote: Social Network - currently we just define a generic "Social Network Engine" tech for it. I think it will be more interesting to define more technologies that power a social network. Any suggestions?
I think what makes a social networking site popular is their ease of use. Maybe you can have a tech called "User interface" or something like that. Not sure if that will work, since all the internet companies can benefit from that. The ease of sharing, ability to share and meet others online, and customize your personal page are important factors. I'm really not sure how to incorporate those into tech chunks that you can just research though.
David wrote: Search Engine - similar to above, any suggestions for the list of technologies that affect a search engine's performance and quality?
Search engines benefit from having the best algorithm. The better you can index pages, the stronger your competitiveness. Search engines also benefit from higher quality database technology. More robust and complex storage possibilities allow for better indexing of content. There are also spiders that crawl the internet for content. Actually the more crowded the internet gets, the more popular search engines become. People have more difficulty finding good sites, so they rely more on search engines. Maybe that could be a feature. Speed of searching is also vitally important. Maybe an efficiency tech could be developed.
David wrote: Photo-sharing web site - similar to above, any suggestions for list of the technologies that affect a photo-sharing web site's performance and quality?
I'm not really sure about this one. Photo sites like imgur and snapchat (is this social networking?) work really well because they are fast and simple. They take pics and upload them fast for the user. Not sure what kind of techs you would have for this one.

Thinking about techs for these sites leads me to think that generic techs for all sites would work better since they overlap so much. Perhaps some generic and just one specific for each of these sites would work best. Since All of these sites would benefit from UI enhancements, make that one generic and useful for all. But a tech like 'algorithm' or 'photo data reduction' could be researched for the specific site type.

Hope this helps. Love the game!
David

Post by David »

I think what makes a social networking site popular is their ease of use. Maybe you can have a tech called "User interface" or something like that. Not sure if that will work, since all the internet companies can benefit from that. The ease of sharing, ability to share and meet others online, and customize your personal page are important factors. I'm really not sure how to incorporate those into tech chunks that you can just research though.
This is a good point.