Features unique and memorable in Capitalism series

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
counting
Level 8 user

Features unique and memorable in Capitalism series

Post by counting »

A lot of players have noticed how unique Capitalism series is and differ from most business simulation games. Very few of them focusing on macroeconomic environment simulation like Capitalism series. Capitalism series allow players to build their dream corporation empires in a sandbox environment a decade before sandbox games are popular. Players also focus more on the big picture than tedious daily operations, but at the same time the game provide enough financial details for players to analysis similar to real life businesses.

What other unique and memorable features drawn YOU to Capitalism series?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
jondonnis
Level 5 user

Re: Features unique and memorable in Capitalism series

Post by jondonnis »

The stock market. I don't know the ins and outs in the real world or in game but few games do the stock market as well as cap has. I used to play A-train in the 90s on my first PC and that was only other game I liked the stock market. Caps is obviously much better though. I also like reading that cap 2 was actually used at some universities in the states to aid teaching business.
Inarius
Level 4 user

Post by Inarius »

The stock market, and the diversity in products, and strategies (media, marketing, R&D, stock market, etc.)

And the detailed accounting, too.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Inarius wrote:The stock market, and the diversity in products, and strategies (media, marketing, R&D, stock market, etc.)

And the detailed accounting, too.
Ya, the accounting mechanism is almost exclusive for Capitalism games. I don't recall any other games try to implement it.
xLogan

Post by xLogan »

I've always loved business games but have had a hard time finding really captivating ones like Capitalism II & Lab. What really drew me into it was how in-depth it goes: you can own the whole supply line, be the manufacturer, or just a retailer... Market dominance aspects, the graphs, and rankings are also a great addition. Also, the competition is alive—constantly adding new buildings, interacting on the stock market (which was implemented excellently), and doing whatever else they do. Really, you can go as far into the game as you want. I rarely hire a marketing or operating chief, unless my business is an empire and becomes troublesome to run. I enjoy checking on each city, solving problems, and seeing which items are most popular. All in all, it is such a complete game with a huge amount of room for even more improvement and addition. Love, love, love it.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

Some players actually like the micro aspect of the game. And I also enjoy click here and there, watch the financial reports, spy on what AIs are doing. Surprisingly like real life business days :lol:

Just wish AI CEOs are as creative as real life CEOs and create eventful "false news" on the market to skim their businesses. Sometime they are more amusing than entertainment section if you can see through the meanings behind numbers and words. :P ;)
RossyOs

Post by RossyOs »

it has a memorable feature of being the most addicting game i have ever played. :lol: :P

Really love the high level of managment in this game. ;)
klasanov
Level 4 user

Post by klasanov »

For me, it is how the stock market is inplemented, and that you are capable of some ponzi-esque schemes with it.

Im playing with subsidiary dlc (also a unique feature) and just throw extra cash in there to play the stock market. Less regulations with a subsidiary than your own.

Well im running a communicatoons, electronic products, and photography products company and i notice that inflation is high (7-8%) and interest is low. So i know money is free i guess. Borrow money on both my and my holdings corp and just throw it into corps abc and xyz which i want to acquire, where xyz also owns part of abc. Acquir xyz which allows me to buy abc at cost.

I quickly realize abc can use the money it got from share sells to bully others into selling when the public shares get bought, and so i can use thr same money twice, essentially.

So im buying up all this stock and my assets are going up, allowing me to borrow even more money, which i use to just buy more stock, and so on. I turned a 2b company into 11b overnight and then . . .

I cant borrow much more so i stop, and the market cools, and i go back to being a 2b private company and then i go to a company that has
So much more liability than assets that an IPO at this point would mean i pay people to get my stock.

So with 600m in profits and inflation of 10% and payments of 60m in loans before i can pay down any debt -- all i can hope is that inflation stays high and my nominal profits keep increasing.

If the market changes (and it very well can) then i will be forced to retire penniless. After 16 years.

Well i guess my guy would have a 30m mansion and 50m in the bank.

So really a lot of these features are unique, and not just that, but how they interact with eachother to allow for interesting scenarios and risks i could never take in other games (seriously if i pull out of this in 5 years and release HUD glasses to the world it will be amazing)
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

For me, the core Capitalism Lab game is more or less similar to the old Capitalism II, although not so much alike the original Capitalism, or Capitalism Plus. They are essentially about spending more money to make tones more money, and leverage capital to gain more capital. This is nice and all, and give me a sense of accomplishment unlike any other games, where the basis of "money" not in units of dollars, but millions or billions, even trillions, while each unit of goods still based on sort of at real life level. This gives me a sense of how quantity accumulated via the market really makes a raw and powerful capital force.

What really makes me feel connected to Capitalism Lab, is the CIty Economic Simulation DLC. Before this, a corporation is more like a cloth on my avatar, I can feel it, but it's not my own skin. It feels like wearing a glove to touch the world. However, with a town that can actually be called my own, I felt I become part of the city I created from absolutely nothing. I educated my minions, I gave them securities, entertainments and sports; I even fed them and give them all the possible goods I can produce, and I wouldn't want them to suffer, even though every penny I earned are coming from them. And I would seriously feel depressed if they choose to emigrant, I would call for them to come back. That's very different from the nameless and always docile. perfectly efficient workers in my factories or stores. I don't feel connected to these labors, but I do feel for my citizens in my own city, where I am not just the mayor (technically, the party leader of the mayor's party), but part of the family of my people.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
mikebauer

Post by mikebauer »

in cap plus, searching blindly for resources. i sort of miss that.