Capitalism 2 coming out on steam, CapLab to follow soon?

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
towerbooks
Level 2 user

Capitalism 2 coming out on steam, CapLab to follow soon?

Post by towerbooks »

Please? Also any news on the digital age DLC? I am dying to find out more about its progress.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Capitalism 2 coming out on steam, CapLab to follow soon?

Post by David »

towerbooks wrote:Please? Also any news on the digital age DLC? I am dying to find out more about its progress.
We are still in the process of ironing out the bugs. I will post new updates as the development progresses.

FYI, the general AI improvements that were made to the Digital Age DLC are also available in the latest post-release beta patch v4.5.17 which you may download from http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

We currently do not have any plan to release Capitalism Lab for Steam, due to various reasons. One of the reasons is that there is a technical issue of integrating SteamWorks into Capitalism Lab.

As for Capitalism 2, we are releasing it as a retro title, which is made explicit by the publishing label Retroism. People will understand that retro titles are not going to have SteamWorks integration. But for Capitalism Lab, if we were to release it on Steam, people would understandably expect it to have SteamWorks integration. And as explained above, we do not see it possible to integrate SteamWorks into Capitalism Lab, thus a Steam release of Capitalism Lab is currently not planned.

You may also check out this related post: http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewto ... f=8&t=4512
Users who have purchased Capitalism 2 digital version from Enlight web store in the past could redeem a free Steam key for Capitalism 2.
towerbooks
Level 2 user

Post by towerbooks »

David wrote:
towerbooks wrote:Please? Also any news on the digital age DLC? I am dying to find out more about its progress.
We are still in the process of ironing out the bugs. I will post new updates as the development progresses.

FYI, the general AI improvements that were made to the Digital Age DLC are also available in the latest post-release beta patch v4.5.17 which you may download from http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

We currently do not have any plan to release Capitalism Lab for Steam, due to various reasons. One of the reasons is that there is a technical issue of integrating SteamWorks into Capitalism Lab.

As for Capitalism 2, we are releasing it as a retro title, which is made explicit by the publishing label Retroism. People will understand that retro titles are not going to have SteamWorks integration. But for Capitalism Lab, if we were to release it on Steam, people would understandably expect it to have SteamWorks integration. And as explained above, we do not see it possible to integrate SteamWorks into Capitalism Lab, thus a Steam release of Capitalism Lab is currently not planned.

You may also check out this related post: http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewto ... f=8&t=4512
Users who have purchased Capitalism 2 digital version from Enlight web store in the past could redeem a free Steam key for Capitalism 2.
That is a bummer. But a steam release or a GOG release(please?) isn't off the table though? I would repurchase the game off GOG in a heartbeat just to support the series that made me get my business degree.

I haven't checked the latest version number but is the one from the download link the latest by default? If so then does the AI update already in effect then? I have seen some peculiar stuff off the R&D tab that seems to be part of the digital age DLC. Like I have seen software and internet research and whatnot. So non of those are functional as of yet? I am really looking forward to the DLC because I really love this game and there's just nothing like it ever.
David

Post by David »

I haven't checked the latest version number but is the one from the download link the latest by default? If so then does the AI update already in effect then? I have seen some peculiar stuff off the R&D tab that seems to be part of the digital age DLC. Like I have seen software and internet research and whatnot. So non of those are functional as of yet? I am really looking forward to the DLC because I really love this game and there's just nothing like it ever.
You may look at the top right corner of the Capitalism Lab main menu which indicates the version number. The latest post-release beta version 4.5.18, which you may download from: http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10
eota

Post by eota »

Hi David. I bought Cap2 from GOG can I redeem on steam?
David

Post by David »

eota wrote:Hi David. I bought Cap2 from GOG can I redeem on steam?
Actually only users who have purchased Capitalism 2 digital version from Enlight web store (http://www.enlight.com or http://www.capitalismlab.com) in the past are eligible for redeeming free Steam keys.

(This is in line with industry practices on third-party stores. e.g. people who bought Capitalism 2 from Steam will not be given a free key at GOG either.)
Njeroe
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Post by Njeroe »

Which limitations prevents you from integrating Steam workshop support? And why would workshop integration be a crucial part for a Steam release? I think launching the game without workshop integration wouldn't make a big difference, as it stands now this is a very niche game for a small audience I wouldn't expect a Steam release to cause a sudden influx of players demanding Steam workshop support. And even if it did attract a lot of players there would be more resources to probably integrate it. I hope you might reconsider this option, I have seen other games done well with mod support which didn't have workshop support to start with. One last question, I have bought Capitalism II on disk a long time ago (I don't have a receipt and there's no activation key in the manual) will it be possible to redeem a Steam key for it? I don't have a DVD/CD-drive anymore on my computer and am not able to play it anymore.
carpii
Level 3 user

Post by carpii »

Njeroe wrote:Which limitations prevents you from integrating Steam workshop support?
SteamWorks not Steam workshop. They are different things
Jp1138

Post by Jp1138 »

I don´t see any problems releasing the game in Steam without Steamworks - acording to Steam it consists in Matchmaking, Steam inventory, anticheat tech, microtransactions, and cloud saves, all things we can live without, I think.

It would be a lot easier to buy and install dlc, but maybe it´s there where the integration problem is?

I just found about the game in a forum and went straight to Steam to wishlist it, don´t knowing how could I have missed it. Well, it wasn´t there, that´s why ;)
Njeroe
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Post by Njeroe »

carpii wrote:
Njeroe wrote:Which limitations prevents you from integrating Steam workshop support?
SteamWorks not Steam workshop. They are different things
My bad, but still I think even without full Steam integration it's still a viable game. And being on Steam gives you a greater audience and possibilities to generate more income.