Real estate focused company AI

General discussions about the release versions of Capitalism Lab
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Re: Real estate focused company AI

Post by WilliamMGary »

If you pay attention to these private areas some of the retail stores go on sale so I buy and then place my stores there. they get a significant profit on the sale but it's a way to "buy" into these exclusive areas. love it!
azxcvbnm321
Level 3 user

Post by azxcvbnm321 »

Dordanov wrote:I'm curious to learn why the AI even builds buildings other than retail outlets inside the CBD.

I have always built all my Factories, R&D Centers and Farms outside of the (populate) city areas. The land is much cheaper (especially in Cap Lap, in Cap 2 the land values were much lower) and it's easier to find a specific firm you are looking for if you group them by (semi-)product(range)s.

This is still the way I build in Cap Lab, but I do try to minimise the distance of factories to my retail stores to keep the freight costs as low as possible ofcourse.

The AI however just clutters up the city (center) with every type of firm they build. Is there a specific reason they do this? Does it increase the (land) value of appartments/commercial buildings near them? Does it lower operating costs? Does it attract more trafiic for Retail outlets that are near? does it affect (un)employment in any way? It just seems more realistic to if industry were to be clustered in the outskirts of cities, and Farms were placed even more out in the open.

I'm pretty new to all the introduced city and economy changes and additions currently in Cap Lab, and don't know all the new possibilities and functions linked to the location of firms, so can someone please enlighten me?
Yes each new building increases traffic and draws residential demand to that building. During my last game, I and the AI had built so many factories and R&D centers in one area that it became viable for retail outlets to open (traffic 35). Then residential houses started to grow there and the area was transformed into a busy retail location with some places having traffic of 70.

I think the AI will build R&D and factories as close to the CBD as they can without the price of land going up too much. This could be pretty close as the price of land can fall dramatically just a few squares away. That factory or R&D center will generate traffic and may cause a retail firm to open. Then residential might move in and eventually the factory or R&D is surrounded and looks like it's in the middle of the city, but it didn't start out that way.
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

"Yes each new building increases traffic and draws residential demand to that building. During my last game, I and the AI had built so many factories and R&D centers in one area that it became viable for retail outlets to open (traffic 35). Then residential houses started to grow there and the area was transformed into a busy retail location with some places having traffic of 70. "

I've never saw residential houses build themselves in an area.