Buying banks, Investment banks and Central banks

Suggestions that have been implemented were moved to the this subforum.
baz
Level 4 user

Buying banks, Investment banks and Central banks

Post by baz »

Central banks

I'm not really liking the way its setup in the game currently. As far as I know, there's no global central bank that dictates bank interest across the world. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think I am.
You can't apply the same loan interest rate across all countries (citys), as some countries (citys) will be doing far better than others. If it is that the central bank is say HSBC ( Private bank ) then fine. But Central banks are ran by governments to stimulate the economy or to increase savings if spending is out of hand. Countries like the BRICS are encourage savings, whilst the US is trying to encourage spending for example.

Banks

The problem with this system is, that you couldn't have banks to buy for example, as banks lend to each other, and that can only happen if governments lend money cheaper ie UK government are lending at 2.5% and banks charge us at least 6.5%. The other way, is for banks in the BRICS to lend to EU banks for example at better rates than other EU banks ect. So if you can't have interbank lending then, it's not really a bank as such. Yes you can have stacks of cash, and can lend that, but then your more an investment or loan company than say a bank. As banks other purposes are to store money and pay you interest on that money.

The other point on bank lending is credit ratings, There isn't away, as far as I can see in the current game, that allows for this. For example some companies may get some of there debt / loan reduced to more favourable interest rates or half of the debt is just wiped away. When banks do this it usually damages your credit rating, so the next time you want to borrow money it's a lot higher than the normal rate or they may not borrow at all. This is where the idea of investment banks could come in as you could if you wish either buy shares in that corp or loan to the corp when no one else will at higher rates than the bank.

I have found another problem with the lending rates, and again this isn't a huge problem but for example. In the UK you can borrow at a fixed rate ie 6.5% if the interest goes up at the bank assuming on your agreement which is usually fixed your loan rate wont change. In the current game that i'm playing I borrowed at 7.5% and now it's 10.5%. In between this time I borrowed at 3% when the rates crashed and I should of in real life been able to pay off the initial 7.5% loan and then just had a 3 % loan of the same amount. This would also allow for bank ownership as there are different banks at different rates. What happens in the game is that your interest rates drop and increase without you been able to do much in controlling them. Again i'm not apposed to the way the system works and i'm playing at 206% difficulty but it dosen't represent the real world.

Idea's

Change the Central bank to a corporate bank, then the rate can apply how it wishes across the globe and the banks in the game could then be options to buy and allow for different interest rates set by the player in the country that your in. IE If the country was in recession you could lower interest if you wished as it's only corps that borrow the money in the game. The central bank could be accessed via an icon and you could borrow of them direct if there cheaper than the investment or public banks. If your ratings poor with the central bank, then you would be subject to the players banks.

Another idea is that You could possibly and maybe the current coding may need a tweak, have banks privately owned and investment banks been publicly owned. You could then borrow off the bank and the central bank rates could apply to the bank, and then you could change the interest by yourself for the investment bank. IE Bank lends at 5% set by the central bank then the Investment bank can borrow at that rate, but then charge it's own rate say 7.5% to other corps. But also you would be in competition with the banks and you could lend at a lower rate if you didn't borrow IE you have billions of your own money and you could lend that at say 5% as you'd still make money. It gets around my points of a banks purpose and still allows for purchasing of banks in some form. I know that the Quatar royal family have an investment bank that invests around the world in private companies.

This brings me onto the purpose of the investment bank in the game. They currently lend money and allow you to issue shares which is fine. But I would like to see them, (if it is that the above wasn't introduced) acting as an investment bank. IE the investment banks could buy shares in the stock market. for example the Chinese government have an investment company that invest in foreign companies, which is also another way of them lending money to companies directly. It also helps ailing companies, where there credit rating isn't very good.

At the moment CAPLAB works very well. for example when in recession it lowers the interest rate and increase when it's doing well. Which is my point above about central banks.

I'm not apposed to the way the system works, just it should allow for country variations. So if I have a corp HQ in the UK for example i'm fixed to the interest by that country, If you made the corp HQ fixed to a country till say they don't have a loan or a fixed period in time ie 20 years then you can control the loans that they borrow. Ie if my corp HQ moved from the UK after all loans were paid for example, I could then move to a country that has a better loan rate and also a better interest rate for my cash.

It's going to be very clever coding if banks and the other stuff I mentioned above were incorporated into the game. Although Trevor Chan and his boys, are the boys that could do it. I guess my ideas and comments are more simulator than game, and it's really whether they want Capitalism as a game or a simulator.

I would love to know your feelings on this, perhaps i'm wrong or perhaps theres other ways. Either way i'd love to know your views. Right, back to beta testing :D
Inarius
Level 4 user

Re: Buying banks, Investment banks and Central banks

Post by Inarius »

My idea for banks (I have read the above post it sounds good but i also have ideas :=)

There should be central banks. Central banks cannot be played. They actually play the same role (or nearly) than now. But their % loan would be much lower. Perhaps - but not if it's too complex- there should be loan rate different by cities, reflecting the action against inflation or unemployment in each country.

Central banks cannot be played.

Hedge funds already exists. You can choose to play on the market, buying and selling stocks.
What lacks for me today is BONDS. You cannot emit BONDS, just have a loan or emit stocks. A Bond is different from a loan because it's emitted and people have to BUY it. And also people out of banks.

What lacks are banks. Playing as a bank allow you to emit loans and bonds. Companies can only have money from banks, and banks are lending money to a higher rate than the one of the central banks.

The game is also rating (playing the role of agency such as moody's or S&P) all companies. As a player you can see the note of all AI players. The rate plays a role, a higher rate allows you to borrow money at a lesser %. This rate also plays a role in stocks value, because people will react very positively when you raise your note (from BBB to BB-, for example, or even more). This reaction should be instant.
In the game, you should be rated every 2 years, for example.

I think that the role of banks and agencies are very important. They played a very BIG role in the current crisis.

Cap lab, apart from a few things (R&D decay and real price, some minor bugs, diversifying the AI more) is in a VERY good shape right now. You have done a very good job. But I think that without these instruments and features, you would miss what is the center of ALL public attention right now. Rating agencies and banks are important.
baz
Level 4 user

Re: Buying banks, Investment banks and Central banks

Post by baz »

I don't disagree with what you say Inarius, and i'm glad that someone else has a positive theory on the use of banks.

I don't know to much about bonds thought, so I make no comments but I would disagree withyou on Hedge funds. Hegefunds do buy stocks so your right there but they also do short selling, which I would love to see. A few years ago Porsche with there finacial CEO genius took on hedge funds (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 76896.html) and beat them at there own game using short selling to there advantage and also took 75% share in VW at the same point. Porsche were making more money from there VW shares than there cars at one point.
And I really do feel that we need this in the game. I'm unclear if it would be easy to implement but to replicate what Porsche did would be a master class in programming and technical achievement for a game like this. Imagine the stockmarket with short selling alongside stock purchase. It would be a finacial wizards dream and a great learning tool. Equally with bonds, I know very little about them so would love to see them implemented as it would certainly teach me something.

I think we should take these things to a poll on the CAPLAB discussion forum rather than the beta forum?