Suggestion: Intro of new markets during game

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Suggestion: Intro of new markets during game

Post by WilliamMGary »

One of the things you began to notice is that like IRL real estate is not infinite after 100 or so years prime retail space is taken up and you're acquiring companies to buy spots and or take over their operations. I think it would be interesting that new cities can open up after say every 100 years a new market/city opens that the companies can expand and grow into since the game can now support up to 10 cities.

This would change the game play for those of us who play a game for multiple Real Life years on end.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Suggestion: Intro of new markets during game

Post by David »

Currently the script system supports the following:

http://www.capitalismlab.com/script---cities.html

LOCKING A CITY

Locked=yes
If the above line is defined, the city will be locked and the player will not be able to build any business in the city until the city is unlocked. This happens when the player has achieved a goal with a reward that unlocks the city.
(To see the script syntax about unlocking a locked city as a goal reward, click here)

To define additional customized cities for the game, simply add another city definition block, starting with the City=<city name> line.

Alternatively, do you think that we should add a new option on the "Environment" page of the New Game Settings menu, for those users who do not like to deal with scripting?

If so, how would you like the new option to function exactly?

1) After how many years a new city should emerge? Or under what conditions a new city should emerge?
2) What should be the population size of a new city ?
3) Should we provide an additional option to increase the challenge, banning the player from investing in the new city until certain criteria are met, whereas the AI companies are free to invest from the outset?
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

David wrote:Currently the script system supports the following:

http://www.capitalismlab.com/script---cities.html

LOCKING A CITY

Locked=yes
If the above line is defined, the city will be locked and the player will not be able to build any business in the city until the city is unlocked. This happens when the player has achieved a goal with a reward that unlocks the city.
(To see the script syntax about unlocking a locked city as a goal reward, click here)

To define additional customized cities for the game, simply add another city definition block, starting with the City=<city name> line.

Alternatively, do you think that we should add a new option on the "Environment" page of the New Game Settings menu, for those users who do not like to deal with scripting?

If so, how would you like the new option to function exactly?

1) After how many years a new city should emerge? Or under what conditions a new city should emerge?
2) What should be the population size of a new city ?
3) Should we provide an additional option to increase the challenge, banning the player from investing in the new city until certain criteria are met, whereas the AI companies are free to invest from the outset?
I have never played with the scripting system, I think the Customize Game system should be replaced with a GUI for the script system. Of course I don't know what this would involved but I think that would be ideal. It wouldn't need to include all the advance features but the basics.

In case the above is not possible adding to the environment page this ability would be sufficient.

Options should be like unlock the city after X years. The population should be random like current cities and then based on conditions it will grow or shrink. For the Customize game I don't think overloading the GUI with the various criteria would be necessary, if they want to do that they need to use the script system
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

SOAP Box on Customize Game incorporating some of the Scripting System Features:

I think the Customize Game if it incorporated some of the scripting system features and presented the configurable options in a newbie/user friendly way would really increase awareness of the capability of the game. The scripting feature is great but not everyone (talking about myself) is going to want to set aside time to learn the scripting system and plug in values.

I think as new capabilities are added to the game and hence the scripting system the ones that make sense and can be simplified should be added to the customize game feature to make those easily accessible to all players.
David

Post by David »

I have never played with the scripting system, I think the Customize Game system should be replaced with a GUI for the script system. Of course I don't know what this would involved but I think that would be ideal. It wouldn't need to include all the advance features but the basics.
I don't think this is likely to happen as the dev team's task schedule is already extremely lengthy. I think it is better realized via user created support tools if someone in the future decides to implement it.

In case the above is not possible adding to the environment page this ability would be sufficient.
Options should be like unlock the city after X years.
e.g. unlocking a new city after 100 years?

Assuming the game starts in 2000. With this setting, a new city should emerge in 2100 and the second one should emerge in 2200?

Should there be another option for setting the maximum number of new cities that will emerge? Or just one new city will emerge, for simplicity?
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

David wrote:
I don't think this is likely to happen as the dev team's task schedule is already extremely lengthy. I think it is better realized via user created support tools if someone in the future decides to implement it.

Options should be like unlock the city after X years.
e.g. unlocking a new city after 100 years?

Assuming the game starts in 2000. With this setting, a new city should emerge in 2100 and the second one should emerge in 2200?

Should there be another option for setting the maximum number of new cities that will emerge? Or just one new city will emerge, for simplicity?
Allow the player to specify the number (X) of years before a new city is unlocked as well as how many new cities there should be.
David

Post by David »

Allow the player to specify the number (X) of years before a new city is unlocked as well as how many new cities there should be.
The screen real estate has limited space left (see attached.) How would you suggest naming these 2 new options on the interface, in the shortest number of characters possible?
Attachments
newcity.jpg
newcity.jpg (91.03 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

David wrote:
The screen real estate has limited space left (see attached.) How would you suggest naming these 2 new options on the interface, in the shortest number of characters possible?
Locked Cities: <number dial>
Unlock After: <number dial> years
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

I think that it is an idea for scenarios and scripted games. No need to search for space on main start screen.
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Post by WilliamMGary »

megapolis wrote:I think that it is an idea for scenarios and scripted games. No need to search for space on main start screen.
I think the customize game screen would give it exposure to a larger number of players.