Base game data missing from Buildings.dbf

Discussions about modding and share your mods with other players in this forum.
BioBiro
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Base game data missing from Buildings.dbf

Post by BioBiro »

Hi,

Buildings.dbf in the MOD_kit does not contain any entries for the base game stores in CapLab (Toy, Computer, Drug, Discount, etc.).

Can these be added? They can't seem to be overwritten.

I ask, because this is the only thing, AFAIK, that's stopping modders from creating a mod with none of the base game data in. It would be great if mods existed that provided a completely different playing experience - products, product images, classes, stores, etc. - all new and different, but unless the default stores are added to Buildings.dbf, it seems it's not possible to replace the default buildings in the game?

This user will not complain about the UI until 9th July 2020.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Base game data missing from Buildings.dbf

Post by David »

The base game buildings cannot be removed due to some game system reasons.

Since most of the base game buildings are quite common, like discount stores and etc, and I would imagine that even a MOD will need some of these basic stores. I would suggest that you add new ones to your MOD along with the existing ones.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

But can we just rename the default shops' building name (can keep the existing buildcode)? Like I don't want a cosmetic shop, but want to call it beauty shop, and allow selling more than just base game products. I don't want too many different types of specialized shops added on top of the existing ones.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
rlilje
Level 2 user

Post by rlilje »

eleaza wrote:But can we just rename the default shops' building name (can keep the existing buildcode)? Like I don't want a cosmetic shop, but want to call it beauty shop, and allow selling more than just base game products. I don't want too many different types of specialized shops added on top of the existing ones.
You can't rename the default shop names but you can certainly add products to the existing shops using the Retail_Store_Products.DBF. Like David mentions there are some game system reasons that we can't manipulate the existing names - I suspect even a name change would be game breaking. I would like to see the [Locks] script expanded so you could specifically remove the default shops without negatively impacting the game system. Right now this is limited to entire categories rather than individual firms. You could then add a custom shop tailored to your desires without having all the default shops also cluttering the retail firms section.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

rlilje wrote:You can't rename the default shop names but you can certainly add products to the existing shops using the Retail_Store_Products.DBF. Like David mentions there are some game system reasons that we can't manipulate the existing names - I suspect even a name change would be game breaking. I would like to see the [Locks] script expanded so you could specifically remove the default shops without negatively impacting the game system. Right now this is limited to entire categories rather than individual firms. You could then add a custom shop tailored to your desires without having all the default shops also cluttering the retail firms section.
I want a Boutique Shop to sell jewelry, high end accessories, handbags and expensive apparels. So I don't actually need a specialized jewelry shop, and I don't want to add some many new retail stores, leaving useless default shops behind. And I know I can added new product classes into existing shops, just their name isn't what I want.

I don't see why changing a string of characters would affect the game in any way, there's buildcode to identify them isn't it? If building names matter, than how can different language translations work, they obviously don't use the "original English building names"? Maybe I'll simply use a "mod translation file" on top of the mod to assist changing default store name? I think this can be done, but I probably also want to change these default store appearances though, It can be done, right?
Last edited by eleaza on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

Post by David »

You may use the Translate function to rename retail stores or names of any buildings:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/how-to-tra ... -text.html
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:You may use the Translate function to rename retail stores or names of any buildings:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/how-to-tra ... -text.html
So change the building appearances, and its name with translation pack, and change what it can sell, this is essentially "overwrite" the default building, right? Only that we will at least have same amount of retail stores as default game, instead of "deleting" some.

BTW, modding is tough and make me so tired. So many little details need to know, so much to fill in, as well as all the images and icons. This is hard work. :cry:
David

Post by David »

So change the building appearances, and its name with translation pack, and change what it can sell, this is essentially "overwrite" the default building, right? Only that we will at least have same amount of retail stores as default game, instead of "deleting" some.
That's right.
rlilje
Level 2 user

Post by rlilje »

Thanks David - this is a great way to work the problem that I hadn't thought of and really opens up some ideas for the project I'm working on.
BioBiro
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by BioBiro »

OK.

So, we can rename them, and you can also change the icons via the '\Buildings (Original)' folder (after packing the folder, I think the resultant .SPR has to be copied to the '\Buildings' folder before you PACKALL).
This user will not complain about the UI until 9th July 2020.