Natural resource run out too quick in late game

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab
eleaza
Level 8 user

Natural resource run out too quick in late game

Post by eleaza »

Coal amount 4210.jpg
Coal amount 4210.jpg (176.32 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
I know the price of almost everything in CES DLC is 1/10 of the core game, but this also reduces the amount of nature resource reserve to 1/10. This might be fine when the cities are small in early game for easy start. But later on, when all cities grow to core level level of millions (I achieved on average 1.5 million population per city in 30 years), this reduced amount really start to fall short. My automobile-industries alone consumed enough steel, hence in term coal and iron, that a single coal/iron mine last less than 9 months (current fastest "record" 262 days), and I have two coal mine running simultaneously, so a single mine if the throughput can handle, will run out in just 4 or 5 months or even faster (I haven't even touched other industries that used steel, other than desktop computers). This is not just an annoyance for the players, but seriously reduce the AI's ability to expand as well. They also constantly running out of raw materials, reshuffle links and are almost always in constant starvation for natural resources. Most sectors need raw resources badly are almost empty, just a tiny fraction is taken by AIs. (like the jewelry sector shown below, I think less than 1/10 of the market is supplied by AI corporation, if not for imported goods, the silver necklace market share will also be nearly completely empty)
jewelry pie chart.jpg
jewelry pie chart.jpg (216.97 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
I know I can use mod to increase the nature resource amount (or script perhaps I am not quite familiar with how to do that), but I also want to keep the 1/10 price reduction in early game, since it's also quite crucial for AIs or human players to fair well early on. I suppose, one solution will be to dynamically increase the natural resource reserve amount along with population growth. The higher the population a city has, the newly discovered resource will adjust its amount and price accordingly (I know it's not realistic, but at least we will have a decent late game without constantly have to rebuild natural resources, and AIs will fair better if their throughput is also increased dynamically). And the adjustment probably have to be much faster than population growth, I feel at about 5 times the initial population, the amount of resources should already increase back to the normal core game level (Of course this is under the assumption CES DLC will keep the low 500k per city startup after beta phase, or as many players suggested back to normal level like the core game)
2 million population.jpg
2 million population.jpg (729.44 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
Spac3y
Level 4 user

Re: Natural resource run out too quick in late game

Post by Spac3y »

Yeah I have to agree with that one. In one of my games Im having to have 3 chemical mineral mines going into a warehouse just so I have enough time to reopen another as they are running out in less than a year too so its pretty annoying :D
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

Spac3y wrote:Yeah I have to agree with that one. In one of my games Im having to have 3 chemical mineral mines going into a warehouse just so I have enough time to reopen another as they are running out in less than a year too so its pretty annoying :D

The visible dip in coal reserve shown in the first screenshot, is just from when I set up the new one, went back to the old mine to check if it run out, deleted it and relinked the warehouse to the new mine, and checked back the new mine (all at speed 1). Thst's how fast late game resources being sucked dry.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

We will improve it based on the method you suggested (but the increment values will be somewhat different from your suggestion) in the next patch v4.2.11.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

David wrote:We will improve it based on the method you suggested (but the increment values will be somewhat different from your suggestion) in the next patch v4.2.11.
We'll see how the change will make the issue less problematic in next patch.