Alternative Manufacturing Recipes for Products

Discussions about modding and share your mods with other players in this forum.
Brutus
Level 4 user

Re: Alternative Manufacturing Recipes for Products

Post by Brutus »

David wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:11 am
link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
(these are just the vanilla files from the modkit with only the manufacturing.dbf file edited to test out this gimmick)
I tried to download it but Google Drive prompted that access request is needed. I have sent an access request to you. Please approve it.
Oops my bad, I have never used Google Drive before, hopefully the next link will work properly, it should now be enabled for everyone to download from this folder and I just approved your request as well so ... if this fails i'll look for another way to upload it :lol:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

and the fact that I get OCD over a simple button not having a proper edge is enough for me to stay away entirely from broken UI elements through adding unsupported features
You may let me know what OCD you got and send me the save game that can be used to replicate the crash. I will then request the dev team to look into it.
David

Post by David »

I honestly kinda figured you'd known about and experimented with it at the least :lol: your mod is light years ahead of mine so it was doubtful that a good modder like yourself wouldn't have attempted this already :mrgreen:
Just curious, what kind of mod are you working on? :)
Brutus
Level 4 user

Post by Brutus »

David wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:58 am Just curious, what kind of mod are you working on? :)
I think I talked about it before already ... more like half a year ago lmao :lol: but eye problems are always plaguing me.

Mostly I just want to flesh out some of the product groups a little. Increase the complexity of research a tiny bit thanks to the features from the digital age DLC. Try to make it a little more indepth in terms of semi-product importance and diversity but I don't want nearly as much depth as the other mods have going for them. I don't like how the other big mods are just stacked to the brim with different products which may or may never even be produced and cause massive clutter on the map with factories and the likes. There are so many products in some of those mods that many companies don't even produce a lot of goods for a very looong time and no competition ever takes place because of this. This makes it feel like you are doing business in a desert as the only water salesman. I want to keep it compact and every product be meaningful while you constantly face off against AI's who are vying for market share.

For example, the Sports Equipment group only features Backpack, Golf Clubs and In-Line Skates as products. These are kinda okish but I just wanted to flesh this whole group out a bit with something interesting like Bicycles, Skateboards & Sports Balls. The Sports Equipment group is further subsumed into the greater Leisure & Entertainment Mega-Class (Toys & Sports) as Sports Equipment is absolutely trash to get an expertise in at the moment. Terrible market size, worst store to sell in, semi-hard inputs. Generally a badly balanced product class because of this and it shouldn't be imho. Sports Equipment should be awesome to get where you feel like a cutting edge company providing entertaining products.

Some small tweaks to other products, in how frozen chicken, frozen pig and frozen beef are all the same price per lbs when this is ... to say the least ... incredibly inaccurate :P so chicken and pig is cheaper now while beef is more of a luxury like in real life. Other weird things that bothered me such as Tissues being a Household product but not Toilet Paper. I mean who can forget the global toilet paper shortage :roll:? It just irked me that it was such a strange and odd choice to add to that group. I mean it's not terrible but its certainly not one that I would have picked as a developer.

So some of my current development goals are.

> Flesh out some of the product groups but attempt to keep the number products as meaningful and significant as possible. Try to aim for ~8ish products at maximum. The less the better actually. No clutter!
> Try to flesh out a bit more of the semi-product class to make it feel a little more important than it is right now. Electronic Components being a substitute for EVERYTHING electrical and electronic is ... lame
> Balance some product classes and more evenly distribute market sizes.
> Currently trying to kitbash a bunch of interesting new store and factory graphics together. Which I will release to the public if I ever get to finishing them. Photoshop skillz are in radical R&D mode right now :idea: (especially a new Small Factory building that looks modern is on my priority list because I'm sick and tired of using the ugly Small Factory which looks like a Smelter to produce my Software in :x)
> Experimenting with deepening the gameplay such as a possible research tree.
> Ultimately I want to turn the clock of the game back to the 1950 era and have it go all the way to a futuristic 2050 but this is a more broader goal that I will try to work towards as I finish the other major goals first.

> Also just generally have fun with modding as I always enjoyed it as a past time, that's why the alternative manufacturing recipes possibility was so interesting to me. ;) It fits perfectly with my goal of trying to make the semi-products class a little more interesting.

That's it really. Got to stay humble for my first project.
David

Post by David »

Update: the dev team has fixed most of issues reported in this thread related to alternative manufacturing recipes. The fixes will be available in the upcoming version 6.9.00.
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

Interesting, thanks David - I'll have to fire up 6.9.00 and see what you've done ;)