Telecom Customers refuse to come back after price discount

Technical support requests for Capitalism Lab
Stylesjl
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Telecom Customers refuse to come back after price discount

Post by Stylesjl »

This is an interesting but somewhat tricky to replicate bug. I have a telecom business running, it generates a nice profit and has a few hundred thousand customers.
Telecom.png
Telecom.png (151.6 KiB) Viewed 116 times
But I'm greedy, let's rip our customers off by charging $30. Oh no, my customers left, how could this have possibility happened :roll:? Expected behaviour, no-one wants to pay those stupidly high prices even if I am a monopoly.
Ripofftelecom.png
Ripofftelecom.png (184.07 KiB) Viewed 116 times
Anyway I become less greedy and set my prices down. When I do so the market share creeps back up:
MarketShareUp.png
MarketShareUp.png (149.02 KiB) Viewed 116 times
Which is fine but- here is where it gets weird. It stalls at a certain level as it goes back up, even if I run it for a long while it is clear that the old customers are refusing to ever come back:
TelecomStall.png
TelecomStall.png (151.63 KiB) Viewed 116 times
Maybe that is intended? They are so fed up they will never go back perhaps? Maybe but it seems odd they would do this when I am a monopoly provider. Though I don't think the game ever really intended a human player to have a telecom monopoly normally (as there was always an AI player that would normally jump in and supply the telecom service).

Anyway, it is really strange. I have attached two savegames: One where I have the telecom company before I raise the price:
TelecomBefore.zip
(4.05 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
And one after I do it:
TelecomAfter.zip
(4.17 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
But you can follow the steps above and see for yourself.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Telecom Customers refuse to come back after price discount

Post by David »

I loaded your savegame and ran it for some time. The user base did grow again for telecom, albeit very slowly, which I think makes sense given the circumstance. So it is not a bug but the way telecom is simulated.
Attachments
telecom.png
telecom.png (161.44 KiB) Viewed 52 times
Stylesjl
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: Telecom Customers refuse to come back after price discount

Post by Stylesjl »

I'm not sure if that is right though: I have noticed that it grows very slowly but this seems to be in line with the population growth. If you get a political party and stop all immigrants (stopping pop growth) you will notice that it does not rise at all.

I have a savegame where I did this. I took control of the government and blocked all immigrants - no change at all even when running for several years.
TelecomNoImmigrant.zip
(4.48 MiB) Downloaded 2 times