First Impressions

Old suggestions that did not get traction were moved to this subforum.
johnnywas

First Impressions

Post by johnnywas »

I started playing Capitalism Lab because I wanted a fun tycoon type game which didn't involve rollcoasters or trains.

Thanks to those who have kept successive versions on line and run this forum.

I have been playing for a little while and these are my impressions

I. No manual or tutorial. Oh my ! Luckily, I found a PDF copy of the Capitalism II on the Manual on the internet (one which probably shouldn't have been there).

2. I like the fact that there is a wiki. However its not been much added to. I added some beginners tips I found here.

3. The game is a bit bewildering at first. You can burn through cash before you realise that you don't have a supplier for your product or you haven't added enough purchase modules to buy all the raw materials

3. The City Sim elements are a bit dated looking but do provide some fun.

4. The various coloured bars and histograms are somewhat difficult to understand. They should be labelled (some are).

5.The factory layouts feel a bit generic. Is that how businesses really organise factory floor space. Er...possibly. _ I guess its more than moving stuff around the factory floor. You can add units like sales and advertising and inventory.

6. For a game called "Capitalism" there are surprisingly few worker management problems :)

Generally I think in summary its tough for beginners but there plenty to look at. I'll see how it goes after a few more hours
Esoteric Rogue
Level 6 user

Re: First Impressions

Post by Esoteric Rogue »

Capitalism 2 has nice tutorial (entrepreneurial) campaigns I often recommend people play through first before diving in the Capitalism Lab. The games have their differences, but all the lessons from Cap2 still apply.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

I agree that right now, most mechanism and element all surround the production area of business, and less about labor market and financial market, even less about government and law/policy (almost none service industries), but it has to start somewhere, and gradually improved overtime.

IMO, right now more like an accounting simulation than business simulation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
-------------------------------------------------------------------
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

johnnywas wrote:I started playing Capitalism Lab because I wanted a fun tycoon type game which didn't involve rollcoasters or trains.

Thanks to those who have kept successive versions on line and run this forum.

I have been playing for a little while and these are my impressions

I. No manual or tutorial. Oh my ! Luckily, I found a PDF copy of the Capitalism II on the Manual on the internet (one which probably shouldn't have been there).
Capitalism Lab is an expansion for Capitalism 2 with a host of new features and improvements, for experienced users of Capitalism 2. If you are new to the Capitalism series, you are recommended to get your hands on Capitalism 2 first, which contains well crafted tutorials for learning the game. You may check out Capitalism 2 web site at http://www.capitalism2.com
2. I like the fact that there is a wiki. However its not been much added to. I added some beginners tips I found here.
Thanks for adding the beginners tips to the CapLab wiki.
3. The game is a bit bewildering at first. You can burn through cash before you realise that you don't have a supplier for your product or you haven't added enough purchase modules to buy all the raw materials
The Capitalism 2 tutorials are designed to guide new players through the process of learning the game. And the tutorial games are much easier to win.
4. The various coloured bars and histograms are somewhat difficult to understand. They should be labelled (some are).
In the latest version 2.4.03c, we have added context-sensitive help to most interface elements.

You may download and install V2.4.03C from http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... =10&t=1753

If you find any other bars or graphs still missing labels, you may post here and I will forward the requests to our dev team for adding additional labels for them.
6. For a game called "Capitalism" there are surprisingly few worker management problems :)
We would like to hear what users think about the worker management aspect of the game. Please feel free to post your suggestions here. Currently staff training can be performed at the firm level or via the HR department in the headquarters.
Generally I think in summary its tough for beginners but there plenty to look at. I'll see how it goes after a few more hours
You may check out this overview of the areas of business simulated in Cap2/CapLab: http://www.enlight.com/capitalism2/CloserLook.html