Government Policies (Taxes, money supply, spending, etc)

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab

Do you think that the government should have a role other than random central bank policies?

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 8

pierrepita

Government Policies (Taxes, money supply, spending, etc)

Post by pierrepita »

Originally I wrote about this in the "Suggestions for a City Simulation expansion pack" section of this forum probably because I got lost in the forum menus but it might as well be a small upgrade to the Release version because it could affect (improve I might say) the overall mechanics.

Some users would like to have implemented Corporate Taxes in the game, not sure if it's just in the expansion or the release version though, I disagreed at first but later came up with an idea (I might not be the first or only one for sure)

Government Policies

If corporate taxes are to be implemented then the government should have some kind of spending role which currently hasn't, this money from taxes should go (if they happen to exist) somewhere other than an empty black hole in the game or else it's completely useless unless you want to get your finances damaged just for nothing.

The same to paying advertising to state own media or actually buying this media firms, where is that money going? Does it affect the money supply later on or what? They should at least build comunity buildings for citizens' sake. I guess they're just stealing money as usual politics. Why can't we allow the government to act as a somewhat different corporation?. It doesn't seem like a radical change since we already have government owned media firms.

Government spending could be a great idea for a new release version, allowing the goverment to participate as a "comunity buildings builder/keeper corporation", whether it's financed by money printing (more money supply and inflation) or corporate tax, sales tax, income tax, etc; this spending could give a bonus boost to "consumers' spending" as well, as keynesian economists say, leading to GDP growth, but my focus point is that the money that the government takes should be useful for something and not just a difficulty in the game and, to make it even more interesting, corporations should be able to influence the government (central bank attitude, central bank policy, tax policy, etc), it's not unreal at all since corporations fund political campaigns worldwide for a reason.

Whatever the mechanism gets to be used for the government to get involve in the game mechanics it should be simple and, in my opinion, able to be influenced by rich corporations, with special donations, advertised propaganda, bribes, etc. It's just an every-4-years thing, it shouldn't take us time at all, we invest more time in R&D and we don't complain...often.
Twitter: @PierrePita
counting
Level 8 user

Re: Government Policies (Taxes, money supply, spending, etc)

Post by counting »

I always thought the "white" media firms represent media owned by locals, like the role of local competitors for products.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
-------------------------------------------------------------------
tosh
Level 3 user

Re: Government Policies (Taxes, money supply, spending, etc)

Post by tosh »

great idea. governments could, if possible, to fill the empty holes in the demand chain (raw materials unavailable, etc...)