Ability to destroy and create roads

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab
bundyaxl
Level 4 user

Ability to destroy and create roads

Post by bundyaxl »

I like to organize my facilities in rows

the current road layout is all over the place making it hard to organize larger facilities

i'd like to be able to clear roads and lay my own down
WilliamMGary
Level 9 user

Re: Ability to destroy and create roads

Post by WilliamMGary »

+1
bundyaxl
Level 4 user

Post by bundyaxl »

+1
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Since the game's focus is on economic simulation, we will probably just implement a very basic tool for creating and destroying roads and allocate dev resources on other more critical aspects of the game.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

This might create problems, like destroying roads next to existing stores or buildings, or a road right next to another road, etc. I wonder will you be able to implement such function easily?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitch channel : twitch.tv/ancientbuilder
Youtube channel : www.youtube.com/user/countingtls
bundyaxl
Level 4 user

Post by bundyaxl »

I would just keep it simple

You should be able to delete any road square as long as it's not the last one next to an existing building.
Build road squares.
An option for like a row of 5-10 road squares at once similar to purchase land tool but linear instead of square.
Don't let the AI touch the roads, this would probably cause some problems. If I'm not mistaken the plan is to have a "mayor" mode to modify the cities' items, the roads should be implemented there.
Probably no toll roads yet, but this isn't a bad idea since it is a business. One problem that I see is that most toll roads are most likely highways or bridges in real life and there's currently only 1 road type. Perhaps a toll bridge building would be cool since there are no bridges in game now. Just not sure how AI would deal with this, we don't need 20 toll bridges in every city. This would most likely be in mayor mode.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

I don't think "actual" traffic is a mechanism in the current game yet. And roads are mostly for aesthetic reason, and for buildings to look realistic next to a road than free floating in open field.

However, If we want to have a more realistic road network thing, we might need some generated methods for roads first before allowing players to destroy and create roads. Currently it's very odd to see roads all over the map even in places where there's nothing at all. And we don't see the differences in aural area and urban area.
bundyaxl
Level 4 user

Post by bundyaxl »

Since there is no way to create or destroy roads, they kind of have to be randomly generated everywhere since we need them for buildings.

And that would be a nice touch to have the city start with roads only go around the building a few squares. As the city grows more roads would be generated automatically, or you can build them yourself.

As far as the bridges. I know there's no current mechanic for road traffic other than the consumer traffic system and I doubt this would be top priority for this game.
Doing a bridge could work still with less work. I'm sure it will be some work to make water buildings maybe.

The demand could be based on general economic state of the city combined with the amount of buildings on either side and total population. If all the buildings are on one side then obviously there would be no bridge traffic and therefore no sales.
counting
Level 8 user

Post by counting »

bundyaxl wrote:Since there is no way to create or destroy roads, they kind of have to be randomly generated everywhere since we need them for buildings.

And that would be a nice touch to have the city start with roads only go around the building a few squares. As the city grows more roads would be generated automatically, or you can build them yourself.

As far as the bridges. I know there's no current mechanic for road traffic other than the consumer traffic system and I doubt this would be top priority for this game.
Doing a bridge could work still with less work. I'm sure it will be some work to make water buildings maybe.

The demand could be based on general economic state of the city combined with the amount of buildings on either side and total population. If all the buildings are on one side then obviously there would be no bridge traffic and therefore no sales.
This would surely look like OpenTTD City :P
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

bundyaxl wrote:Since there is no way to create or destroy roads, they kind of have to be randomly generated everywhere since we need them for buildings.

In our testing, we realized that it could be too tedious requiring the player to manually build the roads while the player is already occupied all sorts of business decisions running a company.

As for the city sim expansion pack, depending on the player's preference, the player may or may not find it tedious for laying roads manually.

In view of this, we are inclined to provide two options for the player for the city sim mode where the player will be assigned with the task of developing a city from scratch. (In other words the land where the player will build the city on, will be devoid of anything at the beginning)

1) a single button for automatically building roads throughout the entire city. In this case, the player will simply not have to worry about the roads and can focus on more important aspects of the game.

2) the city starts without any roads and the player will be provided with a basic set of tools for laying roads.
Attachments
Test screenshot: the city starts without any roads and the player will be provided with a basic set of tools for laying roads.
Test screenshot: the city starts without any roads and the player will be provided with a basic set of tools for laying roads.
Build road test.jpg (374.31 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Test screenshot: A single button for automatically building roads throughout the entire city.
Test screenshot: A single button for automatically building roads throughout the entire city.
Road grid.jpg (471.27 KiB) Viewed 1209 times