Growing the nation

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Growing the nation

Post by eleaza »

klasanov wrote:When i play more i will start evaluating what is growing in my gdp besides exports.

Anyway just speculating but im guessing it should be possible to get cities up to 5m each which should yield 5b annual profit in rent per year.

Alao want to see if higher per capita gdp means people pay more for goods or if rent can go up.

Ir if rent goes up does gdp go up (more consuming)
A lot of factors involved that's for sure. And I suggest turn off inflation in game setting at the start. This way we will know for sure the GDP growth isn't coming from CPI growing over time.

If we are talking about GDP(PPP) not nominal, then the increasing rent should be added into the GDP growth (in theory), since it's part of the consumption (or spending) if everything else stay relatively the same. Although it's really impossible to isolate a single factor in real economy, everything is interconnected, the money to pay the rent has to come from somewhere, they can come from wage increase, which in turn means somehow the corporations hiring them now have higher expenses, and corporations have to make more profit, again comes from consumers, etc, etc, you wouldn't reach an end-point, just endless loops and webs.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
klasanov
Level 4 user

Post by klasanov »

eleaza wrote:
klasanov wrote:When i play more i will start evaluating what is growing in my gdp besides exports.

Anyway just speculating but im guessing it should be possible to get cities up to 5m each which should yield 5b annual profit in rent per year.

Alao want to see if higher per capita gdp means people pay more for goods or if rent can go up.

Ir if rent goes up does gdp go up (more consuming)
A lot of factors involved that's for sure. And I suggest turn off inflation in game setting at the start. This way we will know for sure the GDP growth isn't coming from CPI growing over time.

If we are talking about GDP(PPP) not nominal, then the increasing rent should be added into the GDP growth (in theory), since it's part of the consumption (or spending) if everything else stay relatively the same. Although it's really impossible to isolate a single factor in real economy, everything is interconnected, the money to pay the rent has to come from somewhere, they can come from wage increase, which in turn means somehow the corporations hiring them now have higher expenses, and corporations have to make more profit, again comes from consumers, etc, etc, you wouldn't reach an end-point, just endless loops and webs.
Thats part of why inflation happens.

I wonder if cap lab's algorithms are sophisticated enough to make a research paper out of.
klasanov
Level 4 user

Post by klasanov »

Anyway real gdp growth should be gdp - inflation rate.

If the cpi is affecting wealth, other nation's gdp, and per capita income, then increases in rank should reflect the real value.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

klasanov wrote:Anyway real gdp growth should be gdp - inflation rate.

If the cpi is affecting wealth, other nation's gdp, and per capita income, then increases in rank should reflect the real value.
I think the in game GDP and other related country statistic ranking data is fixed, much like the top 100 billionaires table predefined.

The real world GDP data can be GDP(PPP) or GDP(nominal), GDP(PPP) is based on purchasing power adjustment (I believe it's what you said gdp - inflation rate, it's actually not minus but like some multipliers)
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

klasanov wrote:Anyway real gdp growth should be gdp - inflation rate.

I once thought of the same thing in the past, and would love to combine leisure with study. But couldn't find someone co-author with me. If you really want to write something about it, we probably could come up with something and write papers together and put them on some free publishing website, like https://arxiv.org/

There are other serious journals about "economic modelling", or "computational economics", but they are somewhat fringe to the traditional mainstream economics (however after many economic turmoils in recent years , this has changed a bit). Although what academics refer to as "economics modelling" is more like this https://sourceforge.net/projects/minsky/ than a game like Capitalism lab (where GUI and playablilty are more crucial)

I think if you really want to analysis in-game economy simulation and publish papers about it, you might want to find journals associated with game designs, or even game modelling, like Procedural Content Generation. Honestly, I'm not too familiar with gaming related research fields.
klasanov
Level 4 user

Post by klasanov »

Im a CS major looking to double major in math at some point (assuming i can get through more than calculus), so would definitely be interested.

I work full time at some stupid dead end job and am taking 10 credits this semester, as well as brushing up on data structures, so im really busy.

I would definitely be interested. It would be neat to break down capitalism lab and how it relates or differs to the real economic models.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

klasanov wrote:Im a CS major looking to double major in math at some point (assuming i can get through more than calculus), so would definitely be interested.

I work full time at some stupid dead end job and am taking 10 credits this semester, as well as brushing up on data structures, so im really busy.

I would definitely be interested. It would be neat to break down capitalism lab and how it relates or differs to the real economic models.
This is an interesting journal
Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation

It has an impact factor about 1.4 and in the past over 2, so it's not a junk journal, and it's open access.
https://www.researchgate.net/journal/14 ... lation_The

I've found several papers on arxiv, and some of them certainly based on simulation of multi-agent system. Like this one.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1510.04967

We only need to find some economic issues that can be tested using Capitalism Lab game like a simulation tool, and compared to some simplified mathematical models. Or even write a program to simulate factors interacting with each others and compared to the game running results.

So you are still undergrad? For doing researches and taking classes and full time jobs, that sounds really busy. And writing papers is not as easy as it sounds, believe me :cry:. However, it might help in the future if you are looking to continue with graduate degrees.
klasanov
Level 4 user

Post by klasanov »

I have aspirations of doing a ph.d, and going into academia for cs. Or industry if the job is right
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

I found a downside of building universities and spend research funding excessively. A product's global average competitiveness equals to the lowest competitiveness of that product in one of the cities in the nation if any of them is greater than 30. Like here I "accidentally" set universities funding for cosmetic in every city, and now the lowest rating for cosmetic is 81, so the global competitiveness is also 81.
Global competitiveness.jpg
Global competitiveness.jpg (309.2 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
This means you have to sacrifice some products in some cities, or simply sacrifice a city completely without any research project to keep other cities to have high relative competitiveness.
klasanov
Level 4 user

Post by klasanov »

Thats dumb