Private Funding for Civic Buildings

City Economic Simulation DLC for Capitalism Lab
kmarano

Private Funding for Civic Buildings

Post by kmarano »

Have you considered allowing private companies to build Civic buildings..
eleaza
Level 8 user

Re: Private Funding for Civic Buildings

Post by eleaza »

kmarano wrote:Have you considered allowing private companies to build Civic buildings..
Not every civic buildings, when do we ever see private police stations or fire stations? But some facilities like private hospitals, or private schools, could be I suppose, but with less effectiveness due to "profitability requirements" maybe. Privatization all civic buildings with the same effectiveness would make running a city way too easy though.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
bundyaxl
Level 4 user

Post by bundyaxl »

Not that I disagree but there are certain circumstances with privatized police do exist in some circumstances.

Just as a point of conversation, I find that running a city at least in earlier game is much easier than running a company.

I'm more about a casual play so I play pretty easy but still my company grows pretty slow in this dlc not making it feasible to fund civic buildings early on.

I play in 9 cities, make my own 10th and put all the manufacturing there, charge myself 0 taxes, nice little tax evasion setup. Theoretically you could charge at cost at any retail store outside of the city and not pay any taxes to anybody but I just let my coo do the work, I'm just here to sit back and light my cigars with paper money until I realized stores don't usually accept capitalism money.
Some cities can give free land or a certain amount of tax credits so the company can decide which is the best deal.

I'm almost thinking you should be able to get money out of the city somehow, should put in government subsidies once the contract system is implemented. A company can put bids out to cities (and companies for contracts) saying we have x amount of jobs, we need x amount of space, give us the best deal for cost of land and tax credits.
For the contracts it can be similar, "we need x amount of x raw material or x semi-product per month" so who is giving the best tech for the best price and best location for shipping purposes. Of course this is when the supply/demand system is revamped in Capitalism 3.0.

Do we need immediate cash, quick startup, free land might be the way, or we might have the cash to startup so would benefit from a larger total tax credit over a longer time. Likewise the city would get immediate jobs for either immediate cash expense or long term investment with tax breaks.
Maybe even allow companies to make a deal by getting the land but paying it off with more taxes monthly, the city could look at the bank loan limit to make a decision on whether to allow a company to do this.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

bundyaxl wrote: I'm almost thinking you should be able to get money out of the city somehow, should put in government subsidies once the contract system is implemented. A company can put bids out to cities (and companies for contracts) saying we have x amount of jobs, we need x amount of space, give us the best deal for cost of land and tax credits.
For the contracts it can be similar, "we need x amount of x raw material or x semi-product per month" so who is giving the best tech for the best price and best location for shipping purposes. Of course this is when the supply/demand system is revamped in Capitalism 3.0.

Do we need immediate cash, quick startup, free land might be the way, or we might have the cash to startup so would benefit from a larger total tax credit over a longer time. Likewise the city would get immediate jobs for either immediate cash expense or long term investment with tax breaks.
Maybe even allow companies to make a deal by getting the land but paying it off with more taxes monthly, the city could look at the bank loan limit to make a decision on whether to allow a company to do this.
Most of them sound fun and all, but any incentive or easy "money" for corporations have the potential of creating exploits and ruin the run. Right now, the "blocking" of transferring money from government account to corporate account is one of the "defense" for laundering money through public. And in fact there is a way of "getting" some money from the government through land price manipulation, just quite tedious. If it's easy it will create another infinite money generating loophole (and I do mean another, there are already some exist, and probably more we haven't found yet). I don't say we can't implement mechanics to these ideas, just need to be quite careful and well-thought out.
cantdownloadit
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by cantdownloadit »

personally I don't see a problem with exploits (after all lots of them are in use in real industry). its a fact many politicians have there own companies and ensure those companies get preferences in state contracts.

if you don't think its fun, don't use it.

nb imo private schools would be far more productive than public ones as they have higher requirements for attendance whereas a lot of people in public ones don't even have any interest in learning anything.
eleaza
Level 8 user

Post by eleaza »

cantdownloadit wrote:personally I don't see a problem with exploits (after all lots of them are in use in real industry). its a fact many politicians have there own companies and ensure those companies get preferences in state contracts.

if you don't think its fun, don't use it.

nb imo private schools would be far more productive than public ones as they have higher requirements for attendance whereas a lot of people in public ones don't even have any interest in learning anything.
Create new loopholes, and then have to fix them in the future is kinda counter intuitive I feel. Any exploits can already be foreseen right now, won't simply stop as one-off issue, they will create and spread into bigger problems and loopholes, even outright bugs.

A direct transfer of cash from government to corporation will be very easy to exploit, create a subsidiary, borrow as much as it can, give all the cash to the government account by buying any assets from the government, and then using this government transfer cash loophole to gain free cash back to the parent corporation (letting subsidiary go bankrupt). Or even as simple as embezzling all the billions of cash from city fund and let the central government bail out with more cash and repeat. There will be endless ways of exploiting this, and as many patches to plug them. These kinds of very obvious loopholes will seriously ruin any fun. Especially for new players who will simply learn exploits to get infinite cash and play nothing else. Personally I don't want Capitalism game to become a click-to-win game.

As to privatize civic buildings, it is a completely different topic, and don't have to involve transfer funds from government to corporations. And I don't have objections on this idea, just feel not every type of civic buildings should be included in privatization. As to how effective compare to the public one, it's more of a gameplay balancing issue than simply mimicking real life situation. And not every private schools are better across the global, from where I studied, it's actually the opposite, public education facilities are better than private ones.