GUI - Selected item persistence

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here
Berbe
Level 3 user

GUI - Selected item persistence

Post by Berbe »

I have encountered variants of the same annoyance withing the game, inherited from Capitalism II.

For example, managing subsidiaries (Subsidiary DLC) in Financial actions, if you select a certain type of action and switch subsidiary, since the possibilities might be different, you end up having another one selected.
SImpler stated, the game merely remembers having selected the n-th element of a list, not tracking its content. It would be nice if the interface was trying to stick to the same element, even though it could move up/down the list, selecting the same n-th element as a last resort, if said element could not be found anymore.
For the use case stated here, that would mean that if you selected Capital injection in the list of possibilities, and whatever the options list end up being for other subsidiaries, you always end up having the Capital injection option being selected when you switch subsidiaries around.

Another variant of that annoyance (I guess?) is the monthly refresh of firms list in the Firms pane.
Whenever that happens, the list is scrolled back to top, while I was monitoring elements at the bottom of it, thus losing track of things.

I know that GUI is a relic, but if those ergonomy hiccups were to be fixed, the UX of that UI would definitely improve.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: GUI - Selected item persistence

Post by David »

I have encountered variants of the same annoyance withing the game, inherited from Capitalism II.

For example, managing subsidiaries (Subsidiary DLC) in Financial actions, if you select a certain type of action and switch subsidiary, since the possibilities might be different, you end up having another one selected.
SImpler stated, the game merely remembers having selected the n-th element of a list, not tracking its content. It would be nice if the interface was trying to stick to the same element, even though it could move up/down the list, selecting the same n-th element as a last resort, if said element could not be found anymore.
For the use case stated here, that would mean that if you selected Capital injection in the list of possibilities, and whatever the options list end up being for other subsidiaries, you always end up having the Capital injection option being selected when you switch subsidiaries around.
The issue has been fixed. Please download the latest patch v5.4.31 from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4887
Another variant of that annoyance (I guess?) is the monthly refresh of firms list in the Firms pane.
Whenever that happens, the list is scrolled back to top, while I was monitoring elements at the bottom of it, thus losing track of things.
I've tested it a few times and didn't get the refresh problem. I basically opened the firm report and scrolled down to the bottom of the list and set the speed to the fastest and let the game run for a few months. The focus managed to stay at the bottom of the list. Could you explain in more details about how you got the problem?
I know that GUI is a relic, but if those ergonomy hiccups were to be fixed, the UX of that UI would definitely improve.
True. If you are aware of any others, please let me know and we will try to address them as well.
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

Stock Market. If a company has too many shareholders, say, 20, scroll works unpredictably. Starting from position 11 (or something), your active cell is always the bottom one. So you basically cannot have shareholder#12 active while having shareholders #12-19 visible, you will always see active shareholder and 7 shareholders above it.

Firms. Long firms list use to go one page up if you re-open it after leaving it by, say, pressing "Go" button. Bug appears only after scrolling the list. If you don't scroll it, you will always be on the same page.
Factories/Stores/etc. Goods rating is not updated immediately if you change the price. You can have goods price updated immediately only if you change the price from Product Details interface.
If you change supplier in a factory, information about it becomes bugged. It will show partial information about new supplier. It is very annoying if you use autolink supplier on new firms.

The bugs I mentioned are here forever and there are lots of others.
Berbe
Level 3 user

Post by Berbe »

David wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:11 amThe issue has been fixed. Please download the latest patch v5.4.31 from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4887
Thanks a lot!
Would be worth to check for such a behaviour in every single panels, unless you fixed a global mechanism.
David wrote:
I've tested it a few times and didn't get the refresh problem. I basically opened the firm report and scrolled down to the bottom of the list and set the speed to the fastest and let the game run for a few months. The focus managed to stay at the bottom of the list. Could you explain in more details about how you got the problem?
Take the 005 savegame from viewtopic.php?t=5420#p25044, in the Firms panel, select all the firms from Beer Media, scroll down a little bit to hide the first 2 (Toulouse & 1st Munich firms) so the 2nd Munich firm, a radio station, is at the top of the list.
Play at high speed and after a couple days (might be a single day, sometimes 3 or more) you should have the list reset to its top. It really feels like there a regular 'reset' happening at fixed intervals.
Berbe
Level 3 user

Post by Berbe »

David, same kind of problem lies into the Product details pane, when you select a specific store of the list and it gets shuffled around (when a retail store opens/closes).
Focus on the selected building switch to a new one since the position of the selected item in the list is remembered, rather than its target.

A complete overhaul of all panes with selections would benefit from switching from the old-fashioned logic (position-based) to the more pertinent/useful/logical one (target-based) in order to ease tracking.
David

Post by David »

it gets shuffled around
What did you mean by "it"? Which list gets shuffled around?
Berbe
Level 3 user

Post by Berbe »

Allow me to rephrase: when retail stores get added/removed from the list of retail stores for a specific product and a specific city in the Product Details pane.
David

Post by David »

Stock Market. If a company has too many shareholders, say, 20, scroll works unpredictably. Starting from position 11 (or something), your active cell is always the bottom one. So you basically cannot have shareholder#12 active while having shareholders #12-19 visible, you will always see active shareholder and 7 shareholders above it.
I tested it with William's save game and didnt' encounter any problem scrolling the shareholder list. There are over 16 shareholders in the list and I was able to highlight shareholder #12 while seeing #12-19 on the screen.(see the attached screenshot) How did you scroll? With mouse wheel or click on the scroll bar?
Attachments
stockmarket.jpg
stockmarket.jpg (267.54 KiB) Viewed 411 times
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

This glitch appears mid-list when I have 12 corporate stockholders and 12 individual investors. In this case my own name appears right in the middle. And it happens right when I reach my own name.
David

Post by David »

megapolis wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:56 pm This glitch appears mid-list when I have 12 corporate stockholders and 12 individual investors. In this case my own name appears right in the middle. And it happens right when I reach my own name.
Could you please provide the save game file and a screenshot showing the glitch?