Poll: Real Estate DLC: Land Leases

Suggestions for new DLC projects.

What Features would you like to see? Anything to Add or Modify?

Lease Land Under Buildings
37%
Lease Mineral Rights
29%
Property Taxes
31%
Additional Items (Post Below)
3%
None
1%

Total votes: 112

standardplayer
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Poll: Real Estate DLC: Land Leases

Post by standardplayer »

Ability to lease land to building owners

• Land Under a Building:
o Features:
-Place a Building without Purchasing Land Beneath if owned by city where rent would go to the city.
-Place a Building without Purchasing Land if owned by Private Landowner. The land owner would have a setting that would allow or disable others ability build on their vacant land leasing it out. They would also have the ability to gain control of their land back through either forcing a building to be relocated or be sold to landowner of Property at current FMV?
-Sell off land under Building for someone to lease back like the city or private company.
o Land Rent would be calculated based on % of land value relative to interest rates (Equal to, Premium or Discount?)
o Rent Example:
-Land Value: $1,000,000-$5,000,000
-Interest Rate Factor: 7.5%
-Annual Rent: $75,000-$375,000/year

• Buy and Lease Mineral Rights:
o Ability to Purchase Mineral Rights and lease them to mine for royalty from product sales that would recover cost with a profit. Royalties would go to city if mineral rights are not privately owned.
o Royalties would be based on premium over cost of reserve/land value per unit relative to interest rates (Equal to, Premium or Discount?)
o Royalty Example:
-Reserve/Land Value: $5,000,000-$10,000,000
-Reserve Units: 1,000,000/Units
-Reserve Cost Unit: $5-$10/Unit
-Interest Rate Factor: 7.5%
-Royalty Unit: $5.375-$10.75/Unit

• Land Ownership Expenses:
o Property Taxes 1% FMV Land (Additional Revenue Source for Cities)
-Possibly to have different tax assessment value than FMV that would encourage long term ownership. For Example In California Prop 13 only allows counties to increase property tax assessment by 2% rate inflation unless there is a new construction, purchase, or transfer.
Last edited by standardplayer on Sun May 26, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Real Estate DLC: Land Leases

Post by David »

I would suggest that you create a poll for your suggestion. You could see some examples in the forum.
jckceric
Level 2 user

Re: Real Estate DLC: Land Leases

Post by jckceric »

This is something that I have been thinking about for a long time and would love to see it implemented
colonel_truman
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: Poll: Real Estate DLC: Land Leases

Post by colonel_truman »

It would be nice to be semi-forced to keep the land you buy, but allow other corps to build on it and pay a rent.
Things aren´t getting worse; our information is getting better!
standardplayer
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by standardplayer »

colonel_truman wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:05 pm It would be nice to be semi-forced to keep the land you buy, but allow other corps to build on it and pay a rent.
Interesting Idea do you have any ideas on how to practically make it harder to liquidate land holdings? There would definitely need to be some value for keeping the land like this proposed land leases before you make it harder to sell land.

Being able to immediately sell land back to the city also creates problems with city management because if you own enough land in a city then you sell it all back to the city at once you can bankrupt the city.
colonel_truman
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by colonel_truman »

standardplayer wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:57 pm
colonel_truman wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:05 pm It would be nice to be semi-forced to keep the land you buy, but allow other corps to build on it and pay a rent.
Interesting Idea do you have any ideas on how to practically make it harder to liquidate land holdings? There would definitely need to be some value for keeping the land like this proposed land leases before you make it harder to sell land.

Being able to immediately sell land back to the city also creates problems with city management because if you own enough land in a city then you sell it all back to the city at once you can bankrupt the city.
Practical ideas I have none, and I mean it because I have no understanding of the inner mechanics of the game. But yes, before that it would be better to develop the land leases, altough I´m all for enabling an option to lock land sales straight away (in the game set up).
That´s true, you can bankrupt the city "easily" if you are a big land owner. I always thought a nice development would be to attribute a name or tag to every group of land plots surrounded by roads, like if it would be a neighborhood, and else you buy them all or none at all (the land squares). About how feasible that is again I must say I have no idea :)
Things aren´t getting worse; our information is getting better!
de1irium
Level 2 user

Post by de1irium »

I like the land lease and property taxes.
David

Post by David »

Any suggestions on how the user interface for land leases should be implemented?
standardplayer
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by standardplayer »

David wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:34 am Any suggestions on how the user interface for land leases should be implemented?
Land Lease User Interface:
• Interface Options: Headquarters Unit or Separate Real Estate Management Office

• Interface Features:
o Default Setting to Purchase Land with Building unless it is already owned by a Company
o Option in Each Building Interface to Purchase or Sell the Land Parcels Under it and See the Current Lease Rate
o Each City Could Have a Land Management Office or Control Screen where Mayor Can Restrict the Sale of Land so that all land has to be leased from the government that is not already privately owned
o Ability to Move a Building off or Force the Sell the Building for its FMV to you if it is located on Your Land (or government land if you are mayor)

o Management Unit/Office:
- Check Box to change default to Leasing Land Under all New Building Construction from Government instead of Purchasing It
- Available for Land Leasing: Check Boxes that state you are willing to lease land for Specific Cities and Land Types (Building or Natural Resources)
- Sell All Land Buttons next to each City Lease Check Boxes
- Building Land Lease Rates: Fixed Rate Between 5%-12%, Rate Premium Above Current Interest Rate (Loan Rate + X%), or Select able Range 5%-12% of Land Value
- Natural Resource Land: Non-Production Rental Payment X% of Value of Property/Reserves like Building Land, Production Royalty Rates: Fixed Rate 5% (1/20), or Select able Range 5%-12.5% (1/20-1/8) of Mining Revenue
- If you don't want people Leasing your Land you should Disable Leasing for a Specific City, Land Type, or Simply Move the Building Off Your Land as it would most likely not be practical to set Leasing for specific land tracks.
David

Post by David »

Hi standardplayer, as always thanks for your inputs.
o Ability to Move a Building off or Force the Sell the Building for its FMV to you if it is located on Your Land (or government land if you are mayor)
Do you think this will give landlords too much power?
- If you don't want people Leasing your Land you should Disable Leasing for a Specific City, Land Type, or Simply Move the Building Off Your Land as it would most likely not be practical to set Leasing for specific land tracks.
What you said makes a lot of sense. It is just not practical to set leasing for specific land tracks and I can't think of a better interface. But still, do you think the gameplay will suffer if the player can only either enable or disable leasing for an entire city? In real life, companies may only want to lease out only of some of their possessed land plots while keeping some for their own uses. But in the game, the player must move the building off the land, as you suggested. I agree that this is a logical approach given the UI limitation. But it wouldn't sound intuitive to the player and I believe that we will get complaints from users if this is the only way they could do to keep land plots for their own uses.

Let's brainstorm and see if it will lead to a solution. :)