Fixed rate debt

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here
Grashopa
Level 3 user

Fixed rate debt

Post by Grashopa »

It'd be nice to have fixed rate debt... Having interest rates go from 1.5 to 10.5 in less than a year is terrible :)
kie99
Level 4 user

Re: Fixed rate debt

Post by kie99 »

Hi ..

This will be more like bonds which has fixed rate..

i think this is good option to have fixed rate

Thank you
ruudt
Level 2 user

Post by ruudt »

Fixed rate will only realistic with fixed repayment in terms for a specific period.

Example:
Have loan for 100k
Repay in 5 years
20k each year plus interest of 8%

I think it will be good to have this. It's good to know for your financial planning in the nearby future.
jm554

Post by jm554 »

This would be a nice addition. It would be cool to "lock-in" cheap debt during low interest rates.

Also, when interest rates are high, it would be fun to lend money for other companies - a bond market perhaps? For instance, if competitors were experiencing a liquidity crunch, the player could offer them support with really expensive money.

Could this be implemented through a credit rating system? Companies would get a credit rating depending on financial ratios such as ROA, Debt / Assets, Net Income / Interest Expenses etc. calculated from previous 1-3 years. Then the rate for the debt would simply be the central bank's rate + some risk premium depending on the credit rating.

I think Railroad Tycoon 3 had a simple and fun bond market.

Further, the game could use more financing and investing opportunities. If the player has excess cash it can only be invested in 1) expanding the company, 2) buying real estate / media companies and 3) buying shares of other companies. Why not add fixed income instruments to park the cash in so that the player could earn a return on that excess cash?