[MOD] Modern World Retro - Complex historical mod

Discussions about modding and share your mods with other players in this forum.
mdemircan2
Level 4 user

Re: [MOD] Modern World Retro - Complex historical mod

Post by mdemircan2 »

_white_ wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:44 pm Yes please, a source upload would be fantastic even of the current version. I had great fun with the mod but the extreme consumer goods demand kills it for me, it makes everything from eggs to washing machines massively profitable and makes everyone float in money. Had the same problem with piermario's mod until i divided all consumer demand by 6 and recompiled the mod, was a lot more fun afterwards.

Hello, your post caught my attention.
I would appreciate it if you share your mod.
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

This took a lot of time and effort to make and when energy trading finally calms down again I might actually have time to complete the current version I am working on, at which point I can readdress balancing. The other problem is I don't actually have the source for that version anymore, meaning any source would be the new experimental version which I don't want to share yet. I will provide that source once complete and things are setup on Patreon. This is not for financial reasons but simply because it allows me to police version control a little better - I'm simply loathe to have people building their own mods off the back of mine and then sharing those as if its their own work.

Contrary to popular belief about mods, I did balance this out so that it works, which took the better part of 6 months alone. Truth be told if you simply reduce consumer demand by 6 and recompile, this would kill a lot of dependencies between products and make the mod unplayable. The primary reason for the high profits is so that the AI can outperform the human and if you did reduce demand then the human would simply win every time with very little competition. Allowing the AI to make a lot of money ensures that he starts competitive, and also remains competitive, this is simply a prerequisite to counter the issues the AI has with complex product chains and production efficiency.
I have however noticed as the game has evolved that my most recent games start with far less competitors than they used to, so perhaps given the mods age now, some of those balancing parameters will need rejigging to bring certain things back in line.....but either way if you set your game parameters tough enough, then this is still a very hard mod to "win" and will take hundreds of years, if I also reduced profit flow then it might literally take a thousand years to win conclusively (without cheating). I suppose it depends on what sort of challenge you are looking for, but until I get a chance to launch the new version and thus the source I would say just ratchet up the advantages to the AI and the challenge level should be just fine despite the high profits - given how slowly the game can progress at times, I feel the current balance allows for faster expansion and thus more fun. Setting a very low starting capital for yourself for example should ensure the AI takes an early and decisive lead in most industries. Allowing only 1 port or even zero ports for consumer imports is another way to make things tougher. It may not be hyper-realistic, but then none of it really is....the game gets you closer to real life business than some others, but its not a sim, its a game.
mdemircan2
Level 4 user

Post by mdemircan2 »

saffgee wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:01 pm This took a lot of time and effort to make and when energy trading finally calms down again I might actually have time to complete the current version I am working on, at which point I can readdress balancing. The other problem is I don't actually have the source for that version anymore, meaning any source would be the new experimental version which I don't want to share yet. I will provide that source once complete and things are setup on Patreon. This is not for financial reasons but simply because it allows me to police version control a little better - I'm simply loathe to have people building their own mods off the back of mine and then sharing those as if its their own work.

Contrary to popular belief about mods, I did balance this out so that it works, which took the better part of 6 months alone. Truth be told if you simply reduce consumer demand by 6 and recompile, this would kill a lot of dependencies between products and make the mod unplayable. The primary reason for the high profits is so that the AI can outperform the human and if you did reduce demand then the human would simply win every time with very little competition. Allowing the AI to make a lot of money ensures that he starts competitive, and also remains competitive, this is simply a prerequisite to counter the issues the AI has with complex product chains and production efficiency.
I have however noticed as the game has evolved that my most recent games start with far less competitors than they used to, so perhaps given the mods age now, some of those balancing parameters will need rejigging to bring certain things back in line.....but either way if you set your game parameters tough enough, then this is still a very hard mod to "win" and will take hundreds of years, if I also reduced profit flow then it might literally take a thousand years to win conclusively (without cheating). I suppose it depends on what sort of challenge you are looking for, but until I get a chance to launch the new version and thus the source I would say just ratchet up the advantages to the AI and the challenge level should be just fine despite the high profits - given how slowly the game can progress at times, I feel the current balance allows for faster expansion and thus more fun. Setting a very low starting capital for yourself for example should ensure the AI takes an early and decisive lead in most industries. Allowing only 1 port or even zero ports for consumer imports is another way to make things tougher. It may not be hyper-realistic, but then none of it really is....the game gets you closer to real life business than some others, but its not a sim, its a game.

hello saffgee,
I carefully read your message.
You said:
"...I'm simply loathe to have people building their own mods off the back of mine and then sharing those as if its their own work..."
I want to apologize , I made a mistake;
I shouldn't have asked for your mod from anyone else.

But something caught my attention at your message:
"...the game gets you closer to real life business than some others, but its not a sim, its a game..."

I prefer this game (capLAB) to be closer to a simulation.
I teach my students entrepreneurship by using capLAB. I think CabLab should be a simulation for my students to learn better.
Also, we enjoy playing your mod. And here's a thing:
It would be great if you would make exporting data from CapLAB to Excel possible.
Attachments
cap.lab game 13.05.2022.jpeg
cap.lab game 13.05.2022.jpeg (204.64 KiB) Viewed 5425 times
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

_white_ wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:44 pm Yes please, a source upload would be fantastic even of the current version. I had great fun with the mod but the extreme consumer goods demand kills it for me, it makes everything from eggs to washing machines massively profitable and makes everyone float in money. Had the same problem with piermario's mod until i divided all consumer demand by 6 and recompiled the mod, was a lot more fun afterwards.
Please try the latest version of RealWorld version 12.0 with improved balance on product profitability.
For more details, please read: https://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewt ... =39&t=8856
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

mdemircan2 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:26 pm hello saffgee,
I carefully read your message.
You said:
"...I'm simply loathe to have people building their own mods off the back of mine and then sharing those as if its their own work..."
I want to apologize , I made a mistake;
I shouldn't have asked for your mod from anyone else.

But something caught my attention at your message:
"...the game gets you closer to real life business than some others, but its not a sim, its a game..."

I prefer this game (capLAB) to be closer to a simulation.
I teach my students entrepreneurship by using capLAB. I think CabLab should be a simulation for my students to learn better.
Also, we enjoy playing your mod. And here's a thing:
It would be great if you would make exporting data from CapLAB to Excel possible.
I'm not sure this is in my wheelhouse tbh, I'm a whiz when it comes to changing data, adding pictures and making complex product chains using the script and data logic the game employs, but I don't do programming and I'm extremely weak on graphics to the point of being entirely inept. Sorry !
SchrodingerGargoyle
Level 2 user

Post by SchrodingerGargoyle »

Hey Saffgee, are there any updates on the mod?
GasparPeixoto

Post by GasparPeixoto »

nneed help on this mod. I am on a agme that a i must dominate plant and livestock industry and cant find the products that i need to dominate. aside from de logic ones
any help?
saffgee
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Post by saffgee »

Tbh I didn't really sense check the scenarios with my mod. I'm really not sure what the other products could be. Having said that, the guide should be clear on what products are in which group, so just dominate all those that are in the same group ? I think my licenses were also listed under livestock, so that might be something to look at.....