Updated game to latest version, and now the UI is too small

Technical support requests for Capitalism Lab
klasanov
Level 4 user

Updated game to latest version, and now the UI is too small

Post by klasanov »

I play on a 55" TV, and find that the UI is a little too small for me. Playing on lower resolutions just makes the screen size be smaller, but the game won't stretch to fill the monitor like it did on previous versions. Is there a fix for this? Or a workaround I could do? I use windows 10.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Updated game to latest version, and now the UI is too small

Post by David »

Please set the screen mode to full screen.
klasanov
Level 4 user

Post by klasanov »

I have done that, but when I do that, the UI is still too small. The bar at the bottom doesn't extend to the end of the screen and the font is super small because of it. This used to not be a problem.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

You may try the following solutions:

SOLUTION 1:
1) Right-click on the Capitalism Lab icon to open the properties window.
2) Select the “Compatibilities” tab and enable the Windows XP compatibility option.
3) Enable the option "Run this program as an administrator."
4) Click “Change high DPI settings” and then enable the option "Override high DPI scaling behavior."
5) Run the game.

SOLUTION 2:
1) Right-click on the Capitalism Lab icon to open the properties window.
2) Select the “Compatibilities” tab and enable the Windows XP compatibility option.
3) Enable the option "Run this program as an administrator."
4) Click “Change high DPI settings” and then enable the option "Override high DPI scaling behavior."
5) Enable the option “Run in 640x480 screen resolution”
6) Run the game.

Once in the main menu of the game, you can then select any resolution that is available (either full screen or windowed) as the game is actually not limited by the 640x480 setting.
klasanov
Level 4 user

Post by klasanov »

Solution 1 worked, thank you.
Maelstrom Vortex
Level 2 user

Post by Maelstrom Vortex »

This needs the time and effort put in to give your customers a real solution. Your game's interface is awkward and clunky at best on newer systems. The simplest solution is an in game UI scaling slider that will adjust the ui size and fonts based on a multiplier they set and will work in any resolution. Multiple game companies have implemented this kind of solution, I see no reason the same could not be done here with a little time and effort.
Zeke_Bohansen
Level 2 user

Post by Zeke_Bohansen »

Both solutions 1 & 2 required forcing windows to treat the executable as if running on a 20 old OS.

Enlight are dealing with a very old codebase for Cap Lab. I don't know the specifics
but I doubt it has any easily implementable UI scaling abilites.
Maelstrom Vortex
Level 2 user

The old dos bit: I'm aware.. That's been done. The game is running just fine. The problem is that windows scaling issues on a multimonitor system causes spillover into adjacent monitors and with only a cursor-locked option available in full screen mode.. well, you get the idea, it makes using any other screen impossible. Add to that in native and stable modes the ui is so small it almost requires a magnifying glass to read anything and there isn't a good solution here.

UI scaling is the only way the game is going to be playable again for me. Right now it sits inert, untouched despite my want to play because of an inability to play which means in the future an inability to purchase. Enlight appears to want to milk this thing for all its worth and continue to provide content updates and improved features, if it wants cap lab to survive it will have to find a way to do it because it's going to have more and more of its client base running into similar issues. I have looked for third party launch options with no luck, potentially viable suggestions to remedy the situation are welcome.

Heh, their game forecasts what happens when you don't update product to current platform designs.
Zeke_Bohansen
Level 2 user

Post by Zeke_Bohansen »

It's not convenient, but running Cap Lab in a VM might be the answer.
Maelstrom Vortex
Level 2 user

That's a very... rough solution. But definitely not one I had thought about trying and fortunately I do have a machine with the capability. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.