Real Wage Rate in Scripting Cities

Discussions about scenario games and user-defined scripts.
Brutus
Level 4 user

Real Wage Rate in Scripting Cities

Post by Brutus »

I noticed that cities spawned in game without a script can have a wage rate of less than 30 points while it is not possible to do this when using the script feature :( (lower limit is 30 when using a script)

I was wondering if this lower limit could be taken out and allowed to go lower to as much as 10 points perhaps? 8-) (prefer no limits in scripting at all even if it breaks the game, that's the risk of the scripter in my opinion just like we can have a zero seaport game currently)

Some Chinese cities have less than 30 points if they spawned in by the engine which means it is not completely unreasonable to allow a scripter this same capability isn't it? :lol:
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: Real Wage Rate in Scripting Cities

Post by David »

Were they below 30 on day one? Is there a possibility that they actually started at 30 but dropped below it afterwards?

If you have a save game confirming that it is below 30 on day one, please provide it to me and I will ask the programmer to look into it.
Brutus
Level 4 user

Post by Brutus »

It's really not that hard to get a game running with those cities.

I just rando created the world a few times through custom game and here are some world map results. Some of the Chinese cities in particular start really low.

Look at all these poor suckers breaking game rules
Look at all these poor suckers breaking game rules
PoorCities.png (896.7 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

There's a -5 to +5 random modifier on wage rate when a city is spawned in to keep it somewhat randomized. Some of these cities spawned in at over 30 points in other iterations. If you look in the cities.DBF file you will find that Lanzhou is set to a default wage rate of only 25, it is actually the 3rd lowest possible wage rate in the entire file after Ho Chi Minh City and Bangalore at only 20. These cities probably could probably spawn in at 15 wage rate if they got the worst luck of the draw :D

Here's a list of all the cities that are or can go below 30 points in wage rate.

Code: Select all

Lanzhou			China		25
Harbin			China		30
Shenyang		China		30
Lagos			Nigeria		30
Ho Chi Minh City	Vietnam		20
Mumbai			India		30
Bangalore		India		20
I really don't mind that these cities are that low though. I just wish that the script command allowed me to go that low as well. :mrgreen:

I'd prefer more freedom in modding even if that means I can potentially break the game, that's my risk and my own responsibility if you ask me. Artificial constraint of modders is the bane of my existence.

If you somehow can't reproduce it, I am willing to send a save game but I think this is the real juicy information that you wanted anyway. Sending a save game is actually pointless since it is easily reproduce-able, just spam that custom game button a few times with maximum cities enabled to improve speed till you hit the jackpot.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

We will decrease the lower limit
Brutus wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:05 am I was wondering if this lower limit could be taken out and allowed to go lower to as much as 10 points perhaps?
The change will be made as you suggested in v6.6.00. The scriptable range will be 20-100.
Brutus
Level 4 user

Post by Brutus »

David wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:27 am We will decrease the lower limit
Brutus wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:05 am I was wondering if this lower limit could be taken out and allowed to go lower to as much as 10 points perhaps?
The change will be made as you suggested in v6.6.00. The scriptable range will be 20-100.
Why not 10-100?

What if I want to send economical aid to Africa and develop it? :lol:

(I'm also thinking the lower limit being so low is nice because Saffgee wants to make a retro-mod which means all base line real wages were lower in the past, this would give more wiggle room to play with for modders/scripters. :mrgreen: