How do Manufactuing slots determine production rate?

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
Max
Level 2 user

How do Manufactuing slots determine production rate?

Post by Max »

I was doing some experimenting and uncovered something weird about the production rate of minerals.

I've done tones of experiments and snooped all around in the files, and I have no idea why a manufacturing unit in a small factory makes 7600 plastic per month, 7900 glass per month,1600 CCDs per month, 1300 cans of soup per month, and 32 engines per month.

My best theory is the rate of production has something to do with the keeping the margins(using base price) constant through time. It makes sense for balancing reasons why this is. A mod with crazy recipes won't have to do any trial and error. give it the recipes and the base price of each thing, and the rate at which it's manufactured is throttled to something reasonable automatically. The monthly profit revenue of any supply chain is proportional to how many workers hold manufacturing jobs. It also makes sense from a market efficiency perspective. X amount of labor and capital earns Y amount of profit. If this ratio was off-kilter, everyone would scramble to get rich quick, until the margins stabilized again. The "production speed multiplier" is just a slider on how broken you want your manufacturing to be.

I think it also has something to do with complexity or something. Things with more than 1 input tend to be 30~40% more productive. I think this might just be because the prefab factories that deal with 1 item come with 4 slots, and with recipes that require 2-3 items, it comes with 3 slots. I'm testing quantity margins per-slot, but maybe the game does it to adjust the quantity in prefab buildings?

There are a few holes, but that could be just shlop in the data. I wanna know if someone actually knows what's up.