SDL version of Capitalism Lab in upcoming version 10.0

General Discussions about new beta versions of Capitalism Lab
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

SDL version of Capitalism Lab in upcoming version 10.0

Post by David »

I'm delighted to inform you that the dev team has been working on a SDL version of Capitalism Lab. It will be available in the upcoming version 10.0 alongside the non-SDL version.

Here are the details of the SDL version:

SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) is a development library that allows Capitalism Lab to output game screens to textures. These textures will then be rendered via the GPU using Direct3D, resulting in the capability to adjust the application window size of Capitalism Lab.

Scalable Game App Window
Capitalism Lab will offer enhanced display scaling options to address the issue of small text appearing on ultra-high-resolution monitors such as 4K or 2.5K. In previous versions, users were required to switch to full-screen mode at a lower resolution, like 1920x1080, to mitigate this problem. However, with the latest update, you can now utilize the 1920x1080 windowed mode and utilize a new scaling slider to enlarge the game's app window, occupying a significant portion of your desktop.

The attached screenshot shows how the new scaling slider would look like.

This feature is especially beneficial for users with dual-monitor setups, as full-screen mode does not optimally function across two monitors. By employing windowed mode and adjusting the scaling, you can effectively enlarge the text display. It's important to note that the maximum scaling size is determined by your Windows desktop screen size.

You can easily set the scaling value through the settings menu, or alternatively, you have the flexibility to manually resize the Capitalism Lab app window by dragging its corners. Let's consider an example scenario: suppose you are using a 4K monitor with a display resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. In this case, you'll be presented with two options. The first is running the game in full-screen borderless windowed mode at 3840x2160, resulting in very small and difficult-to-read text. Alternatively, you can choose windowed mode at 1920x1080 and utilize the new Scale slider to adjust it to 190%, resulting in a window size of 3648 x 2052 pixels. (By leaving some space for window borders, you won't utilize the full 3840x2160 resolution) The resulting window will expand and present the original content size of 1920x1080, making the text significantly larger and more readable.

For more info about SDL, please check out https://www.libsdl.org/
Attachments
display_scale.png
display_scale.png (167.59 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
cantdownloadit
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: SDL version of Capitalism Lab in upcoming version 10.0

Post by cantdownloadit »

We can no longer Alt-Tab to desktop in version 10 ?
David

Post by David »

cantdownloadit wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:54 am We can no longer Alt-Tab to desktop in version 10 ?
I tested it and it worked well.
SDL in version 10.0 is supposed to make ALT-TAB smoother.

What screen mode are you using and what happened when you pressed ALT-TAB ? No responses?
cantdownloadit
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Post by cantdownloadit »

full screen borderless windowed.

if i have another window open, then it brings that infront of the game window, but if I have no other windows open then i cant get to see the desktop no.
David

Post by David »

In fact, this is a common behavior for all windows apps. I just tested MS Word, Excel and Chrome by pressing ALT-TAB and none of them can switch back to Windows desktop when they are the only app running.