What causes office demand?

Post here if you have any strategy tips to share
Max
Level 2 user

What causes office demand?

Post by Max »

I am playing in survival mode. Without mutch of a consumerbase, office buildings are a way to generate revenue, and attract migrants with well-paying jobs. The only problem is that they seem to have "occupation Bubbles".

Here's what I've figured out. The occupation of office buildings seems to be decoupled from population. Instead, it seems to be corralated with the buisness activity index. I belive these bubbles are a feedback effect. The occupation of office buildings feeds into the buisness index, and the buisness index increases the occupation of offices.

I have 2 theories. One is on the office activity index. It seems to be moreso the rate at which offices become occupied. When you let ~25% of the buildings reach 100%, offices begin to empty out, until most of them are empty, and the bubble restarts anew.

My second theory is that both the buisness activity index and the demand for officespace are coupled to money supply and demand. Office buildings are rented out by tiny buisnesses we don't get to see, and these buisnesses fail when the intrest rate gets too high. The buisness activity index is just a side-effect of the normal booms and busts in the economy.

Does anyone know how office demand is actually generated? Are offices generating buisness activity, or is the buisness activity driving the offices to become occupied. Or, is something else going on? And os there any way to perpetuate this bubble, or at least smooth it out?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: What causes office demand?

Post by David »

I've forwarded your message to the programmer.

The issue has been improved. Please download the new patch v9.1.53 from https://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewt ... f=7&t=9210

In addition, the programmer will work on further improving it in version 10.
Max
Level 2 user

Post by Max »

David wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:48 am I've forwarded your message to the programmer.

The issue has been improved. Please download the new patch v9.1.53 from https://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewt ... f=7&t=9210

In addition, the programmer will work on further improving it in version 10.
What do you mean? I don't belive there is an issue. It actually makes sence why there are bubbles, where consulting firms consult consulting firms in a big network.. If there's anything I think that should be added its more transparency on what generates office demand.

I think that construction requires buying land, which may be seen as a form of investment which increases GDP. Combined with the low unemployment and high wages when these offices are occupied, a primaraly office-based economy, that explains the partial recovery and association with the boom-bust cycle after the crash.

I think the behavior is fine as is. It makes sence that there is a glut of middle management during the good times, and a culling of middle management during the bad times, and the prossess of offices adds more "Momentum" to recessions and booms. In addition, many if not most small economies IRL rely on running officework and conducting internal operations for international countries for tax or other beurocratic reasons.

For example, many intellectual properties like trademarks, paitents, or copyrights from corperations are owned by seperate shells in a olace which has low corperation tax, or somewhere which dosen't tax income on intellectual property. Companies can keep their income in the black, because their income is transferred from their location to the taxhaven.
Kazane02

Post by Kazane02 »

Thanks for this topic. I've been wondering about it. And I noticed the hotspots seem to be correlated to certain attributes. Are you playing with the Banking and Finance DLC by the way?
Max
Level 2 user

Post by Max »

Kazane02 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:41 pm Thanks for this topic. I've been wondering about it. And I noticed the hotspots seem to be correlated to certain attributes. Are you playing with the Banking and Finance DLC by the way?
No. I got the base game DLC bundle deal. I've tried buying the DLC, but my debit card kept locking up. Its ironic that my bank won't let me buy a dlc about banks.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Max wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:02 pm
Kazane02 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:41 pm Thanks for this topic. I've been wondering about it. And I noticed the hotspots seem to be correlated to certain attributes. Are you playing with the Banking and Finance DLC by the way?
No. I got the base game DLC bundle deal. I've tried buying the DLC, but my debit card kept locking up. Its ironic that my bank won't let me buy a dlc about banks.
Please see https://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewt ... =10&t=9349

One of the improvements is:
There is now a correlation between the occupancy rate of a commercial building and the number of jobs it adds to the overall employment in the city.

As for your purchase of the Banking and Finance DLC, please try again. If it still doesn't work, I can provide you with an alternative payment method. You may email me at info@enlight.com
Max
Level 2 user

Post by Max »

David wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:19 am
Max wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:02 pm
Thanks. I figured it out for Christmas and I'm really enjoying myself!

Please see https://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewt ... =10&t=9349

One of the improvements is:
There is now a correlation between the occupancy rate of a commercial building and the number of jobs it adds to the overall employment in the city.

As for your purchase of the Banking and Finance DLC, please try again. If it still doesn't work, I can provide you with an alternative payment method. You may email me at info@enlight.com