Competitor Trade Secrets - Some things that should not be revealed

You may post your suggestions about Capitalism Lab here
Stylesjl
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Competitor Trade Secrets - Some things that should not be revealed

Post by Stylesjl »

There are a few things I noticed in games where Show Competitor Trade Secrets are set to No.

Insurance and Banking Company info are revealed:
Insurance.png
Insurance.png (123.59 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Bank.png
Bank.png (113.8 KiB) Viewed 292 times
I think the following needs to be Confidential:
- Training Budget
- Staff Skill Level
- Customer Waiting Time
- Quality of Service

Note this should be for both Branches and the Headquarters.

Import Companies should not reveal what products are imported or how many slots are being used:
Import.png
Import.png (98.07 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Shopping Malls:
I think that Market Rent and Lease Expiry should also be confidential for other companies (unless you own the mall or a tenant):
Malls.png
Malls.png (91.29 KiB) Viewed 292 times
--
Also, should Private Companies reveal as much information as Public Companies? Public Companies are legally required to reveal information for the public shareholders. But private companies are not obligated to reveal if they have debts or their revenues/profits.
rafaeltodero
Translation Contributor
Translation Contributor

Re: Competitor Trade Secrets - Some things that should not be revealed

Post by rafaeltodero »

Stylesjl wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:27 am There are a few things I noticed in games where Show Competitor Trade Secrets are set to No.

Insurance.png
Bank.png

- Training Budget
- Staff Skill Level
- Customer Waiting Time
- Quality of Service

Import Companies should not reveal what products are imported or how many slots are being used:
Import.png

Shopping Malls:
I think that Market Rent and Lease Expiry should also be confidential for other companies (unless you own the mall or a tenant):
Malls.png

--
Also, should Private Companies reveal as much information as Public Companies? Public Companies are legally required to reveal information for the public shareholders. But private companies are not obligated to reveal if they have debts or their revenues/profits.

I agree that it may not make sense for private companies to show your information because it is "private".

Now if I want to buy a private company, how will I know if it is a profitable purchase?
How will I know if it makes sense to buy the assets it owns?

How can I analyze your income and expenses to know whether the company is worth acquiring or not?

I'm in favor of keeping it as it is. I don't think changing this will help the gameplay much.
Stylesjl
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Re: Competitor Trade Secrets - Some things that should not be revealed

Post by Stylesjl »

rafaeltodero wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:15 pm
Stylesjl wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:27 am There are a few things I noticed in games where Show Competitor Trade Secrets are set to No.

Insurance.png
Bank.png

- Training Budget
- Staff Skill Level
- Customer Waiting Time
- Quality of Service

Import.png

Shopping Malls:
Malls.png

--

I agree that it may not make sense for private companies to show your information because it is "private".

Now if I want to buy a private company, how will I know if it is a profitable purchase?
How will I know if it makes sense to buy the assets it owns?

How can I analyze your income and expenses to know whether the company is worth acquiring or not?

I'm in favor of keeping it as it is. I don't think changing this will help the gameplay much.
That is a good point - I was thinking that maybe it would be revealed upon trying to purchase them, but then a player could just pretend to purchase the company to get all the info. Yes, probably better to leave it public.