Banking Beta issues

Banking and Finance DLC for Capitalism Lab
megapolis
Level 6 user

Re: Banking Beta issues

Post by megapolis »

David wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:50 am
2. Economy health. I had a long recession lasting all the game despite low corporate taxes (sometimes as low as 1%) and influx of money from export operations.
Japan was mired in recession for a long period of time, despite a string of fiscal and monetary stimulations they put into the economy.
3. As a result I see 30 years of 6-7% unemployment and cities that do not grow at all.
In real life, it surprised no one that unemployment can be persistent. Just look at the EU's decade long unemployment problem.

Having that said, if your games experience the same economic pattern over and over again, then potentially something might be wrong and I will request the dev to look into it. But if it only happened occasionally, then it is totally normal as by nature economies are unpredictable. (Do you recall any economists who has a track record of making accurate economic forecast?)
Sometimes I cannot issue stocks after 60-days cooldown and on the other hand sometimes I can issue stocks immediately.
Well, that's nice. I see a lot of nice arguments. And it means that I am right. Many years ago I asked for additional documentation that will give some insight on internal mechanics. My request was rejected so I have to guess. Fortunately I have played a couple of games in recent years and can make some stupid observations.

Figure 1.
Caplab City Taxes screen.PNG
Caplab City Taxes screen.PNG (20.31 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
On figure 1 you can see a typical Taxes policy screen. There is a lot of stupid sliders and something called Business Activity Index. I don't know exactly what it is but I found out that it is affected by the slider called Corporate Profit Tax Rate. From the game official website I know that "A high corporate profit tax rate brings in greater tax revenue for the city whereas a low corporate profit tax attracts business investment." From my stupid observations I found out that 18% tax usually provides enough "business investment" to provide around 20000 workplaces a year for a city of a million inhabitants. Lower tax rate can provide even more but usually is too expensive to use except for some special cases. Other factors like money supply import/export balance do not matter.

As I said before, even 1% tax rate did not boost employment. It may mean one of two things. Either Business Activity Index does not matter anymore or there is a bug. Since I received a lecture on world economy instead of explanation, I suggest that Business Activity Index still matters. Then it is a bug. Case closed.

I wonder if I will have to explain that a bug is a bug to someone who is not listening ever again?
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Post by David »

Yes, we have a couple of examples here in Moscow. And even a bancrupcy. And... Well, I changed my provider four times in last fifteen years and all four are not relevant to these examples.
There should be some movement between telecoms and I think that 20 years is enough to take a reasonable share from the market leader.
I've forwarded your above comment to the dev team.

The market shares of US based telecoms tend to be quite static over time, as stated in this article:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/199 ... criptions/

I now see your point of introducing a stronger force of competition to the telecom industry, based on your real life experience.
On the screenshot that I provided I was using this feature as soon as became available. Here's what you can see on that screenshot.
1. 5 months cooldown from 01.12.1992 to 25.04.1993 where was unable to issue any new stock.
2. 6 days cooldown between issuing maximum amount of stock.
Additionally you can see a big fluctuation of money that I can raise at different times which also looks unusual.
With this new piece of information you just provided, I will forward the case to the dev team for investigation.
Bank Branch. 3x3 building? That's too big IMHO.
I've forwarded this suggestion of yours to the dev team as well.
As I said before, even 1% tax rate did not boost employment. It may mean one of two things. Either Business Activity Index does not matter anymore or there is a bug.
Do you have a save game with this problem that I can check? After my checking, I will request the dev team to improve it.

Bonds purchases are processed incorrectly.
When I tried to buy back my bond that was partially bought by a competitor, all the remaining bonds fell into that competitor's pocket.
Could you please elaborate on this?
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

David wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:51 am
Yes, we have a couple of examples here in Moscow. And even a bancrupcy. And... Well, I changed my provider four times in last fifteen years and all four are not relevant to these examples.
There should be some movement between telecoms and I think that 20 years is enough to take a reasonable share from the market leader.
I've forwarded your above comment to the dev team.

The market shares of US based telecoms tend to be quite static over time, as stated in this article:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/199 ... criptions/

I now see your point of introducing a stronger force of competition to the telecom industry, based on your real life experience.
Thanks for accepting my point. A will try to enforce it anyway :)

US are not a good example because internet there is pure garbage. Fortunately I live in a country with one of the best internet infrastructures in the world. For example here in Moscow I pay $7 for 100mbps (I don't need that much but it is the cheapest option available). In New York you can pay $80 or more for something around 30mbps or less. Now a couple of numbers. 20% of rural americans don't have access to broadband internet. 57M of americans have access to a single broadband provider. The last number is probably the reason for a shitty internet overall. ;)

Rural communities are generally serviced worse but monopolies can be found in cities too. For example if the landlord of your high-rise does not allow a second provider to enter your building, you will be stuck with the one allowed. It happens in Moscow as well but as a rule you have 3-4 providers available.

We are not building monopolies so we need to provide our sims ability to change provider. (Well, actually we build monopolies but that is not the point ;) )

As for the chart, I already found out that 57M of 350m population cannot change provider. If they could they will trade their shitty Comcast for Charter the next day (and vice versa). And that is the latency of that stats. Without them fluctuations in subscribers amounts will look bigger. Also don't forget that subscribers that flow in different directions zero out each other. So if 20M change Charter for Comcast and 19.9M change Comcast for Charter, you will see only 100k change on the chart. (200k in fact but it does not matter)
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

David wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:51 am
Bonds purchases are processed incorrectly.
When I tried to buy back my bond that was partially bought by a competitor, all the remaining bonds fell into that competitor's pocket.
Could you please elaborate on this?
I cannot reproduce this bug. I suspect that it can be caused by problems in load/save mechanism.
Unfortunately bonds buy/sell operations are not logged so I am not able to provide you with screenshots once I bump into this again.
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

Just to keep this thread alive. Looks like software companies do not show any profit tax.
Profit tax is probably paid at e-commerce firm but at least it must be stated on software company profile.

Just in case, I don't want the tax to be paid twice but I want to be sure that it is properly shown in books and paid to the proper budget.
David

Post by David »

megapolis wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 am Just to keep this thread alive. Looks like software companies do not show any profit tax.
Profit tax is probably paid at e-commerce firm but at least it must be stated on software company profile.

Just in case, I don't want the tax to be paid twice but I want to be sure that it is properly shown in books and paid to the proper budget.
I asked the programmer and he told me that the code for software firm's profit tax is the same as other types of firms. So it should work.

The reason why it didn't show any profit tax on the firm income statement is likely due to the fact that other firms of your company posted some losses and they were offset against each other.

If you doubt this, you could run a test with a small number of companies and see if the corporate income statement's profit tax which is the total of profit taxes of all your firms, would include those from your software firms.
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

David wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:18 am
megapolis wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 am Just to keep this thread alive. Looks like software companies do not show any profit tax.

I asked the programmer and he told me that the code for software firm's profit tax is the same as other types of firms. So it should work.

The reason why it didn't show any profit tax on the firm income statement is likely due to the fact that other firms of your company posted some losses and they were offset against each other.

If you doubt this, you could run a test with a small number of companies and see if the corporate income statement's profit tax which is the total of profit taxes of all your firms, would include those from your software firms.
I totally doubt it. My profits are healthy and I pay taxes on all other firms that are in green.
David

Post by David »

Hi Megapolis,

Please see this: http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewto ... 079#p29264

I recommended the dev team to implement it and they also saw its usefulness and set a high priority implementing it. The good news is that it will be available in the next version.
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

David wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:25 am Hi Megapolis,

Please see this: http://www.capitalism2.com/forum/viewto ... 079#p29264

I recommended the dev team to implement it and they also saw its usefulness and set a high priority implementing it. The good news is that it will be available in the next version.
Not sure if it will help but will check it once I will switch to a new version. ;)
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

Another couple of bugs (or features).
I think that these are quite old and has a very low priority. I did not encounter them since I was able to maintain 100% of my company in all my previous runs.

AI Digital Age companies stop buying my shares once they go IPO and I buy 20% of their shares. I remember that we discussed similar issue a couple of months ago and you told that there is a restriction. Well... I own only 20% of them. This bar looks too low.

Telecom company does not buy any shares at all. Well... For now, when telecoms are just powerhouses that cannot be beaten, it is fine. But once it will be fixed, I think that this restriction should be dropped.