Re: Office space
Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm
So I actually figured out something interesting after posting yesterday. The reason I wasn't able to replicate what you were doing was actually tied to the difficulty and not in my implementation of it. I remembered when you first started posting you'd set the game to the max difficulty. I usually play with my own custom settings that are similar, but a little friendlier to retail. Namely I usually have 2 seaports of each kind / city, and I usually kept import quality at medium and competence of local competitors low. So I tried picking a generic 8 for difficulty and voila, suddenly I was getting more than enough credit from the bank to finance my real estate endeavors.
This really makes me wonder how the game decides credit worth and in the case of starting out with $30m cash actually made the real estate strategy much, much stronger than any other strategy on that top difficulty level. At that top difficulty level even the best seaport goods are going to turn minimal profits and even if you try to get a competitive edge with a white label strategy the amount of money you sink into your brand rating is unlikely to pay off in a big way. Retail is further hurt on high difficulties by CES because low populations mean low demand for retail goods. What really made me laugh is because there is so much headwind in the retailing sector that there were far fewer companies that were competing there over time. Basically what this meant was I could still break into retail after 10 years and had a multitude of options to choose from when it came to which products I wanted to research and manufacture without having to be worried about direct competition.
What I'm ultimately getting at is that is that in my opinion if you set the difficulty to 8 and follow a pure real estate strategy at the beginning its actually much easier than running a pure real estate strategy on lower difficulties. The profits from apts/commercial buildings are steady, and the constant credit extensions make it very easy to grow very rapidly. As time goes on the competition is making significantly less money than they would in a more retail / manufacturing friendly environment. Not only does this let you be the company with the highest overall profits as pure real estate but it makes it really easy to just set up a few R&D buildings and come in and dominate a product class. Not to mention on CES it seems like population is pretty strongly tied to available apartments so when you're running a real estate strategy you can pretty much build an unlimited amount of apts and as long as they have decent ratings they will fill up.
This really makes me wonder how the game decides credit worth and in the case of starting out with $30m cash actually made the real estate strategy much, much stronger than any other strategy on that top difficulty level. At that top difficulty level even the best seaport goods are going to turn minimal profits and even if you try to get a competitive edge with a white label strategy the amount of money you sink into your brand rating is unlikely to pay off in a big way. Retail is further hurt on high difficulties by CES because low populations mean low demand for retail goods. What really made me laugh is because there is so much headwind in the retailing sector that there were far fewer companies that were competing there over time. Basically what this meant was I could still break into retail after 10 years and had a multitude of options to choose from when it came to which products I wanted to research and manufacture without having to be worried about direct competition.
What I'm ultimately getting at is that is that in my opinion if you set the difficulty to 8 and follow a pure real estate strategy at the beginning its actually much easier than running a pure real estate strategy on lower difficulties. The profits from apts/commercial buildings are steady, and the constant credit extensions make it very easy to grow very rapidly. As time goes on the competition is making significantly less money than they would in a more retail / manufacturing friendly environment. Not only does this let you be the company with the highest overall profits as pure real estate but it makes it really easy to just set up a few R&D buildings and come in and dominate a product class. Not to mention on CES it seems like population is pretty strongly tied to available apartments so when you're running a real estate strategy you can pretty much build an unlimited amount of apts and as long as they have decent ratings they will fill up.