Media empire as a macroeconomic market controlling tool
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:59 pm
On the Chinese forum, I've seen some interesting post, so I decided to share one of the interesting post where the author analyzed the rare strategy of Media Empire and its effect on overall market with other AIs. The original post is here. http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3354315493. I'll not translate word by word, but just main points.
First, this analysis is done at version 2.5.14, with game setting of 4 cities with high economic simulation and reverse inflation. The author tried to see if he can influence other AIs on the market, like a visible "invisible hand" in macroeconomics, and the closest can be as governors (before city simulation expansion is out). The general idea is to have 3 media firms to each 3 media types in all cities (9 firms per city) and max-out their rating point, so no other new media can have reasonable influence on media market. I'll skip the part about how to achieve it using script and in-game strategies and focus on the analysis below.
The author said from observation, he saw when CPM is set at 2.0, AI's product with poor quality of 10 can put ads on his media empire and able to reach 100 brand rating. At CPM 4.0, only products with quality over 50 can have reasonable brand rating. At CPM 7.0, only products with high brand concern, like big 3CE/wines/etc can afford ads. Beyond CPM 8.0, only player's own ads exist. Since ads brings out brand, brand brings rating, rating influence price, and ultimately the profit, beyond CPM 7.0, if AI uses the media, almost all AIs will have negative profit.
So if using media empire as a macroeconomic controlling tool, and set the CPM to very low, there will be price war allover between AIs. Poor quality goods can compete with good quality goods, the overall total product market value suffers during price war. When set at CPM 4.0, most poor quality none-essential goods will drop out of the market. When set beyond CPM 5.0, most AI's profit will come to media ads, thus stagnate the market growth. AI's personal wealth and company market value starts to drop. However there are many factors might affect this, like current economic status or central bank policy, but this is a good start if players try to implement media focused strategies.
In my own experience, and I don't usually go for pure media empire, but interestingly, when I have more and more control over media, I find that I do tend to set CPM at about 3.0+ for high rating media (30+ rating), and at least 2.0 for new low rating media. Since this seems to be the market norm and can stay competitive in most games. Also a lot of time I find AI with media-focus strategy will open new media firm and set its CPM to 10.0 and drop back to 1.0 periodically to squeeze out profit. There are still many things we can learn from media empire strategies and explore the Capitalism Lab game with new possibilities.
First, this analysis is done at version 2.5.14, with game setting of 4 cities with high economic simulation and reverse inflation. The author tried to see if he can influence other AIs on the market, like a visible "invisible hand" in macroeconomics, and the closest can be as governors (before city simulation expansion is out). The general idea is to have 3 media firms to each 3 media types in all cities (9 firms per city) and max-out their rating point, so no other new media can have reasonable influence on media market. I'll skip the part about how to achieve it using script and in-game strategies and focus on the analysis below.
The author said from observation, he saw when CPM is set at 2.0, AI's product with poor quality of 10 can put ads on his media empire and able to reach 100 brand rating. At CPM 4.0, only products with quality over 50 can have reasonable brand rating. At CPM 7.0, only products with high brand concern, like big 3CE/wines/etc can afford ads. Beyond CPM 8.0, only player's own ads exist. Since ads brings out brand, brand brings rating, rating influence price, and ultimately the profit, beyond CPM 7.0, if AI uses the media, almost all AIs will have negative profit.
So if using media empire as a macroeconomic controlling tool, and set the CPM to very low, there will be price war allover between AIs. Poor quality goods can compete with good quality goods, the overall total product market value suffers during price war. When set at CPM 4.0, most poor quality none-essential goods will drop out of the market. When set beyond CPM 5.0, most AI's profit will come to media ads, thus stagnate the market growth. AI's personal wealth and company market value starts to drop. However there are many factors might affect this, like current economic status or central bank policy, but this is a good start if players try to implement media focused strategies.
In my own experience, and I don't usually go for pure media empire, but interestingly, when I have more and more control over media, I find that I do tend to set CPM at about 3.0+ for high rating media (30+ rating), and at least 2.0 for new low rating media. Since this seems to be the market norm and can stay competitive in most games. Also a lot of time I find AI with media-focus strategy will open new media firm and set its CPM to 10.0 and drop back to 1.0 periodically to squeeze out profit. There are still many things we can learn from media empire strategies and explore the Capitalism Lab game with new possibilities.