New player. Several questions
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:46 pm
Hi all,
Been a fan of the game since ages, but never had the time to play. Finally I bought the game with the DLCs and just finished the tutorial. I do have some questions lingering after finishing the tutorial.
Scenario: Any recommended scenarios for new players to get started on the game, vs a custom "open" game? Since the game has steep learning curve, if there's any scenario that is good for new players, I'd love to learn the game with baby steps.
Capacity: I'm not sure how to find the information in-game, but how do I know if I need a Medium or Large Factory. From reading around, it seems Large has 2x capacity as Medium. If I don't want to lose on training levels, should I just start off with Large Factory and slowly increases its utilization? The same question with the other buildings: apartments, mansions, etc. I assume the more expensive ones have more capacity. Should I wait until I can afford the largest and go with it?
Advertising: When do I want my branding to be Corporate/Range/Unique? I assume in a game where I plan to be involved in different markets (farm products + automotive + computer + fashion), corporate branding isn't ideal since launching a new product will inevitable drag the brand down, thus hurt your existing products? My initial impression is that Range branding seems to be the best since you save up on advertising and it won't hurt your other product class should you choose to diverge. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also is advertising done based per city?
Training: When is max training not recommended? Based on the tutorial, it seems training increases your operating expense but will pay off greatly the sooner you start and the sooner you max the levels. As a follow up, once the units have reached level 9, does max training incur cost (and thus I have to set it to 0) or will it stop incurring expense automatically?
Manufacturing: Are there golden ratios I should follow? For example, for every 1 livestock raising unit, how many livestock processing units can it serve? Similarly for every purchasing unit, how many sales unit can it serve? I guess the better question is how do I identify the "limiters" in the chain? Is it by the brown bar that represents utilization of that unit?
Retailing: In the tutorials, I found that selling goods imported from Seaport is enough to make a profit. Often times the demand outstrips supply. In this case should I increase the price or build more stores and fill it with more purchasing & sales units of that product? Another question is if distance between stores matter or is it purely based on traffic? e.g if 2 stores have the same foot traffic, are their sales affected if they are located next to each other or across the game? If it's the later, then it's purely based on foot traffic and demand of a city as a whole, rather than each store having its own coverage area.
Relabeling: I read a few other threads and relabeling was mentioned. Is it simply buying a product (from AI) and sell sell it in your stores? As simple as that?
Warehouse: When is having a warehouse useful? When is it not enough to have your factories having its own sales units directly linked to stores with purchasing units? On a related note, if a purchasing unit in a store is unable to fulfill demand, is it possible to link it to different factories? if not then is it the main reason to use warehouse, since you can link it to 1 warehouse and have that 1 warehouse linked to several factories?
Expertise: With this feature, if I do want to branch out to other markets, is it better to create a subsidiary and use a COO with the corresponding expertise? I don't know if it's better to use 1 subsidiary specializing in 1 product class or just have my HQ compete in non-expertise products.
For now these are the questions I could think of. Thanks!
Been a fan of the game since ages, but never had the time to play. Finally I bought the game with the DLCs and just finished the tutorial. I do have some questions lingering after finishing the tutorial.
Scenario: Any recommended scenarios for new players to get started on the game, vs a custom "open" game? Since the game has steep learning curve, if there's any scenario that is good for new players, I'd love to learn the game with baby steps.
Capacity: I'm not sure how to find the information in-game, but how do I know if I need a Medium or Large Factory. From reading around, it seems Large has 2x capacity as Medium. If I don't want to lose on training levels, should I just start off with Large Factory and slowly increases its utilization? The same question with the other buildings: apartments, mansions, etc. I assume the more expensive ones have more capacity. Should I wait until I can afford the largest and go with it?
Advertising: When do I want my branding to be Corporate/Range/Unique? I assume in a game where I plan to be involved in different markets (farm products + automotive + computer + fashion), corporate branding isn't ideal since launching a new product will inevitable drag the brand down, thus hurt your existing products? My initial impression is that Range branding seems to be the best since you save up on advertising and it won't hurt your other product class should you choose to diverge. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also is advertising done based per city?
Training: When is max training not recommended? Based on the tutorial, it seems training increases your operating expense but will pay off greatly the sooner you start and the sooner you max the levels. As a follow up, once the units have reached level 9, does max training incur cost (and thus I have to set it to 0) or will it stop incurring expense automatically?
Manufacturing: Are there golden ratios I should follow? For example, for every 1 livestock raising unit, how many livestock processing units can it serve? Similarly for every purchasing unit, how many sales unit can it serve? I guess the better question is how do I identify the "limiters" in the chain? Is it by the brown bar that represents utilization of that unit?
Retailing: In the tutorials, I found that selling goods imported from Seaport is enough to make a profit. Often times the demand outstrips supply. In this case should I increase the price or build more stores and fill it with more purchasing & sales units of that product? Another question is if distance between stores matter or is it purely based on traffic? e.g if 2 stores have the same foot traffic, are their sales affected if they are located next to each other or across the game? If it's the later, then it's purely based on foot traffic and demand of a city as a whole, rather than each store having its own coverage area.
Relabeling: I read a few other threads and relabeling was mentioned. Is it simply buying a product (from AI) and sell sell it in your stores? As simple as that?
Warehouse: When is having a warehouse useful? When is it not enough to have your factories having its own sales units directly linked to stores with purchasing units? On a related note, if a purchasing unit in a store is unable to fulfill demand, is it possible to link it to different factories? if not then is it the main reason to use warehouse, since you can link it to 1 warehouse and have that 1 warehouse linked to several factories?
Expertise: With this feature, if I do want to branch out to other markets, is it better to create a subsidiary and use a COO with the corresponding expertise? I don't know if it's better to use 1 subsidiary specializing in 1 product class or just have my HQ compete in non-expertise products.
For now these are the questions I could think of. Thanks!