New Poll: Global Companies Suggestions

Banking and Finance DLC for Capitalism Lab

Which of the suggestions you want implemented for Global Companies?

They can Merge and/or Acquire Companies
5%
They can invest in local and global stock exchanges stocks and/or bonds
5%
Their manufactured products, internet websites & software compete directly with the local competitors, however they will own no buildings in any local city
5%
Their tech can be sold and purchased and is increased each year due to R&D
No votes
The billionaires list becomes interactive as it is affected by each person's shareholding in the companies and if the stock is going up or down.
11%
Their Brand value is high from the beginning, but can change in time if any of the local competitors is gaining ground.
No votes
All of the Above
47%
None of the Above
21%
Some of the above (Mention in Comments)
5%

Total votes: 19

nejxis
Level 3 user

New Poll: Global Companies Suggestions

Post by nejxis »

With the addition of the global stock exchange, I believe it can open a wide variety of future updates and I have some suggestions below
(some of them may make the game more realistic, whilst others are just extra features which might make it "cooler".)

1) How about when you start the game, these companies are not just lists on a stock exchange, but instead they act like a real company with products being sold etc. They will not have any buildings, factories and what not in your nation, but they are still competition on a global scale and on the internet / software. For example you would be competing against the Microsoft OS (Windows) from day 1, instead of the OS competition is 0 in the beginning. Or for example you would compete against facebook or google in the internet section. You would compete with Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson with their body care products / drugs.

2) You can sell their products in local markets or advertise your products / businesses on global search engines like google and so on.

3) They have a brand value which updates according to their market share and competition

4) Making the list of billionaires update according to their shareholdings in the global stock exchange, so for example Bill Gates owns 15% of Microsoft, therefore if Microsoft stock goes down because you built a better OS, then he wouldn't keep his 63Bil net worth, and so on.

5) I would also make the global list of billionaires and the companies available only if their sector is in the game. For example a company like SpaceX cannot feature as the game doesn't have anything space related.

6) The global companies can acquire private local companies and also shares of public companies on both the local and global stock exchange. - same with bonds

7) Their technology levels could be listed on the headquarters list when trying to purchase tech. For example Microsoft starts with 500 in the OS tech needed, which still keeps increasing due to R&D. You could offer to purchase the tech just like any tech from local companies.

Note: If these suggestions are implemented, I would also suggest that upon creation of a new game, there is a checkbox in which you opt for Global companies or not as it can possibly make the game much harder and more fun for veteran players, but rather unplayable for newbies
Last edited by nejxis on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
piermario
Mod Expert
Mod Expert

Re: Global Companies Suggestions

Post by piermario »

+1
Very nice ideas!
standardplayer
Community Contributor
Community Contributor

Re: Global Companies Suggestions

Post by standardplayer »

Create a Poll for people to vote on the specific features they might want implemented:

• Global Competitors:
o Software, Internet, and Manufactured Products
o No Retailers, Telecom, Financial Services, or Real Estate

• Global Company Founder and Investor Ownership:
o Founder Ownership (Affects their Wealth Ranking)
o Large Investment Company own 5-10% of shares examples: Berkshire Hathaway Inc., Cascade Investments LLC., etc.
o Large Mutual Funds own 5-7% of the shares examples: Blackrock, Vanguard, etc.
o General Public

See pages 54 and 55:
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... c588721_59

• Global Company Mergers and Acquisitions

• Global Company Investment in Local Economy:
o Own Max of 5-7% of Local Firms stock
Last edited by standardplayer on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Community and Marketing Manager at Enlight

Re: New Poll: Global Companies Suggestions

Post by David »

Good ideas! With some sorts of linkage between global companies and the local economies, the stock prices of the global companies may become less random. Let's discuss more on the possibilities.
JasonLJJ
Level 3 user

Post by JasonLJJ »

I like the below:
1) Their tech can be sold and purchased and is increased each year due to R&D
2) The billionaires list becomes interactive as it is affected by each person's shareholding in the companies and if the stock is going up or down.
3) Their Brand value is high from the beginning, but can change in time if any of the local competitors is gaining ground.

Question - assuming that we buy out all the stock in a global company, what happens then?

More importantly, what's the difference in having global competitors and local competitors, instead of just one category?
megapolis
Level 6 user

Post by megapolis »

Some of these changes are uncontrollable money sinks and will destroy city economy model.
james88
Level 2 user

Post by james88 »

It’s the effect on performance that worries me.
avengerbg
Level 4 user

Post by avengerbg »

my 2 cents .... all of this can be tied up with export/import volumes of the cities in different branches. for example you rise one city competitiveness rating in baverages, have factories manifacturing them, you start to export large volumes of baverages, coca cola stocks start to go down, after a while they rise "their" competitiveness rating thus increasing global one, lowering the volume of exports, and rising their stocks again, and so on.... but with some level of randomnes, so there will be something like city economy cicles. It can be extended even more to simulate some overseas economy... but that might complicated mechanics too much

P.S. I dont think that possibility to buy their tech is good idea. it can give player huge advantage over AI, since in my games i rearly see AIs buy tech from someone else, and even at current state player still have huge advantage over AI.