Setting Invention Dates
-
Gray_Lensman
- Level 2 user
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 am
-
rlilje
- Level 2 user
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:48 am
Re: Setting Invention Dates
As far as I know you cannot set invention dates through scripts.
You certainly can by modding the Product_Types file. You can find more info here: http://www.capitalismlab.com/advanced-m ... ducts.html
You can also take it a little further if you have the Subsidiary DLC:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/modding--- ... ogies.html
Hope that helps.
You certainly can by modding the Product_Types file. You can find more info here: http://www.capitalismlab.com/advanced-m ... ducts.html
You can also take it a little further if you have the Subsidiary DLC:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/modding--- ... ogies.html
Hope that helps.
-
Gray_Lensman
- Level 2 user
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 am
Re: Setting Invention Dates
Thanks for the reply...rlilje wrote:As far as I know you cannot set invention dates through scripts.
You certainly can by modding the Product_Types file. You can find more info here: http://www.capitalismlab.com/advanced-m ... ducts.html
You can also take it a little further if you have the Subsidiary DLC:
http://www.capitalismlab.com/modding--- ... ogies.html
Hope that helps.
I do indeed have the Subsidiary DLC. Is there any enlightening info on how the Products_Types.dbf's (CANINV_YR) and the Tech.Dbf's (CANINV_Yr) interact with each other? In other words does the Tech.dbf R&D date supercede the other in the executable engine or is that something to be coordinated by modifying the two database files together?
edit> I am looking to be able to start a game in the 1960's and replicate the R&D and subsequent invention dates of the modern computer age thru approx. 2020.
-
rlilje
- Level 2 user
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:48 am
Re: Setting Invention Dates
Ok. So here's the deal. I too am working on a similar mod (although focusing on 1980 and after) and began to play with the Tech.dbf only to find out that this hasn't even been implemented yet!
After digging in it appears that this feature will be implemented in the Digital Age DLC that seems to be far off from release... kind of frustrating as the linked page ( http://www.capitalismlab.com/technologies.html) actually include the title Subsidiary DLC NOT Digital Age DLC. This isn't the first time I've found a bad link on the website and to be honest I've found it pretty hard to get any answers on this forum... just look at how many posts don't have any replies
None the less, I love this game and will do my best to support others if I have an answer. Right now, as far as I can tell, you are pretty much limited to CANINV_YR, OUTBY, OUTSPEED, OUTREMAIN, and OBSOLETE options in the Product_Types.dbf to simulate the evolution of products.
If you are limiting the product category to say just one type (I made one that just represented the cellphone industry) I found some success in creating Products based on generation (1st gen cellphone, 2nd get cellphone etc). I then used the columns above, along with PARENT 1&2, to simulate the evolution and inevitable cannibalization of older products as new products hit the market. It works relatively well but requires a lot of balancing to get it right and would be an absolute nightmare to implement for a large variety of product categories.
You can use the Product Customization feature (http://www.capitalismlab.com/product-customization.html) to have the images of your product evolve as your R&D increases. But this really only adds an aesthetic feature and a little extra functionality (you can sell two types of the same product at different R&D levels)
Hope this helps.
After digging in it appears that this feature will be implemented in the Digital Age DLC that seems to be far off from release... kind of frustrating as the linked page ( http://www.capitalismlab.com/technologies.html) actually include the title Subsidiary DLC NOT Digital Age DLC. This isn't the first time I've found a bad link on the website and to be honest I've found it pretty hard to get any answers on this forum... just look at how many posts don't have any replies
None the less, I love this game and will do my best to support others if I have an answer. Right now, as far as I can tell, you are pretty much limited to CANINV_YR, OUTBY, OUTSPEED, OUTREMAIN, and OBSOLETE options in the Product_Types.dbf to simulate the evolution of products.
If you are limiting the product category to say just one type (I made one that just represented the cellphone industry) I found some success in creating Products based on generation (1st gen cellphone, 2nd get cellphone etc). I then used the columns above, along with PARENT 1&2, to simulate the evolution and inevitable cannibalization of older products as new products hit the market. It works relatively well but requires a lot of balancing to get it right and would be an absolute nightmare to implement for a large variety of product categories.
You can use the Product Customization feature (http://www.capitalismlab.com/product-customization.html) to have the images of your product evolve as your R&D increases. But this really only adds an aesthetic feature and a little extra functionality (you can sell two types of the same product at different R&D levels)
Hope this helps.
Re: Setting Invention Dates
I also came up with a similar idea when discussing with David about Computer products in Digital Age
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... 462#p16427
So we just need to fade out the old products using slightly different semi-products as major components representing the required technologies for the evolution of technologies in newer generation products, and actually make manufacturing part of the tech tree and forming an ecosystem grow vertically instead of going wide. But I am fairly new to modding, and haven't been able to translate my idea into actual mod. Still figuring out some basics. It looks like a lot of work for a vertical branch for series of products.
Is anyone can help me on modding, and at least tested if it work or not?
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... 462#p16427
So we just need to fade out the old products using slightly different semi-products as major components representing the required technologies for the evolution of technologies in newer generation products, and actually make manufacturing part of the tech tree and forming an ecosystem grow vertically instead of going wide. But I am fairly new to modding, and haven't been able to translate my idea into actual mod. Still figuring out some basics. It looks like a lot of work for a vertical branch for series of products.
Is anyone can help me on modding, and at least tested if it work or not?
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me

L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
-
Gray_Lensman
- Level 2 user
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 am
Re: Setting Invention Dates
Oh it helps a lot... preventing unproductive efforts on Tech.dbf for now. Kinda wish they would not include mod files that are not currently in use (or provide a readme file with the pertinent disclaimer)rlilje wrote:Ok. So here's the deal. I too am working on a similar mod (although focusing on 1980 and after) and began to play with the Tech.dbf only to find out that this hasn't even been implemented yet!
After digging in it appears that this feature will be implemented in the Digital Age DLC that seems to be far off from release... kind of frustrating as the linked page ( http://www.capitalismlab.com/technologies.html) actually include the title Subsidiary DLC NOT Digital Age DLC. This isn't the first time I've found a bad link on the website and to be honest I've found it pretty hard to get any answers on this forum... just look at how many posts don't have any replies![]()
None the less, I love this game and will do my best to support others if I have an answer. Right now, as far as I can tell, you are pretty much limited to CANINV_YR, OUTBY, OUTSPEED, OUTREMAIN, and OBSOLETE options in the Product_Types.dbf to simulate the evolution of products.
If you are limiting the product category to say just one type (I made one that just represented the cellphone industry) I found some success in creating Products based on generation (1st gen cellphone, 2nd get cellphone etc). I then used the columns above, along with PARENT 1&2, to simulate the evolution and inevitable cannibalization of older products as new products hit the market. It works relatively well but requires a lot of balancing to get it right and would be an absolute nightmare to implement for a large variety of product categories.
You can use the Product Customization feature (http://www.capitalismlab.com/product-customization.html) to have the images of your product evolve as your R&D increases. But this really only adds an aesthetic feature and a little extra functionality (you can sell two types of the same product at different R&D levels)
Hope this helps.
The reason I chose 1960 vs 1980 was to allow game AI opponents the normal 10 year start until 1970. Why the 70's? I was born in 1951 and was in the service in the 70's following all the tech developments (a lot thru Heathkit projects). These started becoming popular in the early 70's and in 1977 the Commodore Pet along with the Tandy TRS-80 (which I immediately purchased) were offered up as commercial products vs Heathkit hobby products. So I figure R&D for Computer tech should start in the 1970's game wise.
edit> As a side note the Tandy TRS-80 shipped with the entire schematic print set and since it was all cap letters and block graphics. I immediately set about changing the character generator chip out to a substitute character generator chip with simulated lower case characters with pseudo line descenders for characters with tails like lower case g, j, p, q, etc. This also required cutting into the electronic trace lines on the motherboard to enable the 8th bit for lower case letters. Tandy had tied the 7th and 8th bits together at their cheap all caps chip. Installing a small switch allowed me to switch between all caps when necessary and go to lower case when necessary for readability. This could be done on the fly (without rebooting) too. Pretty cool. Wouldn't have been possible without the furnished schematic prints. By the way even with prints now, a modification similar to this would no longer be possible as the motherboard lines are so intricate and close together as to preclude this type of user modification.
Last edited by Gray_Lensman on Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
rlilje
- Level 2 user
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:48 am
Re: Setting Invention Dates
I too am new to the modding aspect of Capitalism Lab. If you want to truly create a vertical branch for a series of product prepare to spend a lot of time setting it up. My original goal was to represent the majority of the consumer electronics industry but I quickly scaled back to a smaller category (cellular industry) so I could get the basics down around modding and learn from my mistakes before becoming overwhelmed. It certainly does get easier as you get the basics down.eleaza wrote:I also came up with a similar idea when discussing with David about Computer products in Digital Age
http://www.capitalismlab.com/forum/view ... 462#p16427
So we just need to fade out the old products using slightly different semi-products as major components representing the required technologies for the evolution of technologies in newer generation products, and actually make manufacturing part of the tech tree and forming an ecosystem grow vertically instead of going wide. But I am fairly new to modding, and haven't been able to translate my idea into actual mod. Still figuring out some basics. It looks like a lot of work for a vertical branch for series of products.
Is anyone can help me on modding, and at least tested if it work or not?
Right now my biggest challenge is creating balance in R&D costs and timing while experimenting with how fast products cannibalize older products. It's super easy to modify - just time consuming to find the right balance between realism, fun, and actual challenge. Once I get cellular balanced I will probably add on another category and follow the same process until I introduce all of the categories I'd like to see in the end.
Feel free to PM me if you want to bounce ideas or have questions around modding - I'll do my best to answer.
-
Gray_Lensman
- Level 2 user
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 am
Re: Setting Invention Dates
I found this link pertaining to digital computer CPU generations.
http://serdis.dis.ulpgc.es/~ii-pint/Rec ... essors.pdf
http://serdis.dis.ulpgc.es/~ii-pint/Rec ... essors.pdf
Re: Setting Invention Dates
Thanks for the sharingGray_Lensman wrote:I found this link pertaining to digital computer CPU generations.
http://serdis.dis.ulpgc.es/~ii-pint/Rec ... essors.pdf
This is more about single chip microprocessors for personal computer, than "computer CPU". CPU existed long before PC (early CPU, even after the invention of transistor, still composed many chips, and not until decades later they become actual microprocessors). And they "downgraded" microprocessors specifically for PC, so they are cheaper and smaller, but slower and able to fit in a small case, and easier to mass produce.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me

L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me
Re: Setting Invention Dates
I got an idea that since usually in a game, I would start with products that can be produced and sold immediately, I think it would be more feasible to build a "vertical ecosystem" is every components along the way, are not just semi-products but also "retailable" as well. Just consider it selling as replacement parts, or to other "smaller local manufacturer". This way even AIs will be able to produce the chain of products from the beginning. Just we need some type of "retail shops", representing these "simulated B2B sales". Or expand the existing hardware stores for these components. Obviously the total revenue of these intermediary products can not be too high, to overshadow the finish product market size. What do you think of this idea?rlilje wrote: I too am new to the modding aspect of Capitalism Lab. If you want to truly create a vertical branch for a series of product prepare to spend a lot of time setting it up. My original goal was to represent the majority of the consumer electronics industry but I quickly scaled back to a smaller category (cellular industry) so I could get the basics down around modding and learn from my mistakes before becoming overwhelmed. It certainly does get easier as you get the basics down.
Right now my biggest challenge is creating balance in R&D costs and timing while experimenting with how fast products cannibalize older products. It's super easy to modify - just time consuming to find the right balance between realism, fun, and actual challenge. Once I get cellular balanced I will probably add on another category and follow the same process until I introduce all of the categories I'd like to see in the end.
Feel free to PM me if you want to bounce ideas or have questions around modding - I'll do my best to answer.
And I was also wonder how detail show I go into, and how abstract should I simplify them.
E is for Endear, all cute and cuddly
L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me

L is for Luxury, longing for splendid
E is for Elate, making others happy
A is for Amenable, a serene nature
Z is for Zeal, zest for wonderful life
A is for Admirers, all of you love me