Mod Debugging Improvments

Discuss modding and share your mods with the community in this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Stylesjl
Mod Expert
Mod Expert
Posts: 1022
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:01 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 117 times

Mod Debugging Improvments

Post by Stylesjl »

During my experience in modding I have occasionally made mistakes in the DBF files. For many mistakes the errors are straightforward, for example if you forget to add something to both Manufacturing and Product_Types an error appears explaining what is missing. However not all errors are helpful. I think it would good if the this mistake had an appropriate error message:

- Added an OUTSPEED in Product_Types.dbf without a corresponding OUTBY (or vice-versa). For example let's say I did this:
OutError.png
OutError.png (3.24 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Nothing happens, mod loads fine but the product does not go obsolete (perhaps something should warn the mod maker that nothing will happen).

Do this however and the game crashes:
OutError2.png
OutError2.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Crash.png
Crash.png (5.59 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Crash does not say anything about what I did wrong. Would be nice if it said something like OUTSPEED with no OUTBY on Line X in file Product_Types.dbf
Post Reply